Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wanting to know if any of you have experience with a Buescher 400 Top Hat and Cane alto sax. I found one on Reverb and it looks like it’s in really nice shape with the silver plate rather pristine from the limited pics provided. I would love any input on how the sax sounds and feels under the fingers. Would you recommend it or should I look for something different?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,302 Posts
Jango: Every saxophone must stand on its own and not on a general reputation among enthusiasts for a certain model. Much depends on the individual instrument you are considering, not on what others may think of it.

I own a TH&C alto as well as a Big B Aristocrat alto. I've owned other Bueschers, too - still have a TrueTone C-Melody. Among my three Bueschers, the Big B is the best of them - and it is outstanding. Yet, I'd wager that others may see them entirely opposite.

For sure, the TH&C line has a good reputation, but so do Aristocrats. It is not accurate to praise a whole line of saxophones just because they enjoy a good reputation. Make your own judgment after you've played the one you are considering. DAVE

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would love to be able to play test the instrument, but the seller is all the way in Texas. I wish there were more instrument dealers in my area, but I’ve looked all over.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,302 Posts
Most would advise NOT buying before you try it. However, I have done exactly that (bought on a whim because I generally liked the model I was considering), mostly with success.

I suppose then it comes down to whether or not you can afford the horn AND can then afford to have it put into playing order after you get it. I'm guessing that if you really want a TH&C (and they ARE good conversation starters given their unusual design-look), then take a chance, assuming the price is right. Mine is a good player. I had both the Big B and the TH&C overhauled by the same technician. I like the Big B better than the TH&C, but I'm picky . . . nothing to do with the mechanical design, just the response. But again, that is personal and maybe unique to my TH&C.

By the way, most TH&C's are lacquered brass with silver trim in certain places. Is the one you are considering silver-plated all over? Factory or after-market market? DAVE

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
39,518 Posts
great horns but a friend of mine who still owns one had lots of problems in getting it overhauled (several techs made a poor attempt to do this).

HIS (but it is not a general situation that I understand) problem was replacing pads with the correct snap in and to replace some of the norton springs.

At least two technicians reached unsatisfactory results, so he put this horn on the side and bought himself on the advise of one of these technicians a modern sax, one that he assembles.

I would buy a TH&C they are up there with the Conn 30M for me but only if I were satisfied that it is in perfect working order or if I would know, for sure, that I have a tech whom, for a reasonable amount of money and within a reasonable amount of time, can do the job (if there is one to be done).

·
Registered
886 Posts
I have one and it is for sale. There is not much interest here in Holland. I bought it from saxquest and they had at that time 4or 5 that were sold in a few month i therefore think that these are more popular in the states. The one I have is very good and has a beautiful sound and comparing it with a big B ( my colleague has very very beautiful one) this one is much bigger in sound and has more projection. The intonation is very good with a mouthpiece that has a big chamber. I love it with a marantz bros. which has that. I brought to a jam with this combination and they all loved how it sounded. My friend said that I had to play this as my main set-up but I’m playing super20 and I stick with that. The ergonomics are a little bit like you have to get used to. I mean on that night I took it to the jam I was having problems as I was not enough used to the left hand pinky table so you need to grow a little bit into that.. Maybe it needs to be your first horn and not a replacement horn. Besides that it is a real nice instrument with a voice not much people have nowadays. Saxquest did a very good padjob and they kept it all original so I can recommend them.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Hello bakkiemetkoekie, talking about alto or tenor? Here in Germany, a THC tenor for sale does not sit around very long, given that the price asked for remains realistic.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Hello bakkiemetkoekie, talking about alto or tenor? Here in Germany, a THC tenor for sale does not sit around very long, given that the price asked for remains realistic.
It’s an alto in sublime state and best overhaul you can think of and I ask 2200€ As I payed more for it the price is quite realistic.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
33,554 Posts
I was wanting to know if any of you have experience with a Buescher 400 Top Hat and Cane alto sax. I found one on Reverb and it looks like it’s in really nice shape with the silver plate rather pristine from the limited pics provided. I would love any input on how the sax sounds and feels under the fingers. Would you recommend it or should I look for something different?
TH&C in great condition is a wonderful horn. The problem is that one cannot assess the mechanical condition (pads, mechanism integrity) via images. Condition is everything.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
4,321 Posts
I had one TH&C that was a beast player. I had another that wasnt so great. Each saxophone is unique.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts