Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Forum Contributor 2016-17
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an opportunity to pick up an alto Buescher 400 TH&C. Original lacquer, serial number 299,XXX. The asking price is $950. I believe it will need some work to get into top playing condition.

What are these horns worth when properly set up?

·
Registered
349 Posts
I got mine (S/N puts it in 1945) for $2400 earlier this year. It was a closet horn with original lacquer in beautiful condition, (maybe about 95-98% intact, there's only a handful of places with wear) the engraving is immaculate, and there was no work needed.

A lot may depend on just how much work you're talking about having done to bring it up to snuff, but I sold my Mark VI after playing the Buescher for less than a week (I sadly couldn't afford to keep both).

·
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the data point. I'm trying to figure out what is going to be needed to set it up properly.

·
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the data point. I'm trying to figure out what is going to be needed to set it up properly.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,949 Posts
Those are bold ‘lil horns. I like ‘em.

As to the cost for refurbishment, that’s up to your local tech and the horn’s condition - not something that’s easy to judge from here.

Can you get it on approval and take it to your tech for an evaluation?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,268 Posts
I've had mine for many years - bought it from a local music store and I recall I paid something like $1200 for it. A while back, I sent it to "honey j" for an overhaul - don't recall the price now but those things vary as the years go by and depending on the work required.

I have no idea what I could get for it now and I don't intend to move it on. I think they are neat horns based on the LOOK alone. And, mine plays nicely. DAVE

·
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Those are bold ‘lil horns. I like ‘em.

As to the cost for refurbishment, that’s up to your local tech and the horn’s condition - not something that’s easy to judge from here.

Can you get it on approval and take it to your tech for an evaluation?
Thanks George. Yes, I'll be able to get a good estimate, which I will add to the cost of acquisition (I believe it needs a full repad, but otherwise is in good condition - to be confirmed). Which is why I am wondering how much they are worth when set up properly, in order to gauge whether this is a good deal for me.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Thanks George. Yes, I'll be able to get a good estimate, which I will add to the cost of acquisition (I believe it needs a full repad, but otherwise is in good condition - to be confirmed). Which is why I am wondering how much they are worth when set up properly, in order to gauge whether this is a good deal for me.
What you'll find about the Buschers is that they're very undervalued in the market, especially when compared to the Mark VIs and King Silversonics. My 1957 Mark VI was an old and worn factory relacquer (c.1960, so it was still the original formula for its year, and I'd say it only had about 60-70% coverage left, being especially worn on the bell interior and on all of the keys) and was in need of a repad, and I STILL got about $4000 from it.

·
32,949 Posts
If you are already worried about resale, don’t bother. You will not recoup your overhaul investment on a flip.

·
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If you are already worried about resale, don’t bother. You will not recoup your overhaul investment on a flip.
No, not worried about a resale. Only want to pay a fair price, that is all.

·
32,949 Posts
No, not worried about a resale. Only want to pay a fair price, that is all.
It’s a fair price, and (when in top condition) an exceptional horn.

·
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Are they tricky to set up correctly or can any competent tech do a good job on it?

·
32,949 Posts
Are they tricky to set up correctly or can any competent tech do a good job on it?
Hmmm, if they are competent, they can do it. :twisted:

Check out the Matt Stohrer YouTube video on his review of these horns.

·
Indistinguishable Resident Buescher Bigot and Foru
8,588 Posts
FWIW, I just saw a pretty mangled TH&C tenor (listed as an alto) needing what's probably $2000 in repairs go for $1200 on eBay.

·
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks, appreciate all the advice. I'm waiting for more information on what is needed for the horn.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts