Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The older 400 are regarded as the better 400 , till what date , serial number was the quality top notch ?

·
Administrator
17,301 Posts
I think we have many threads about that in the Buescher section.

From what I have read the models till some years after the buy out of Buescher to Selmer (1963) can still be great horns. Check saxpics for serial numbers.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,457 Posts
The Selmer Bueschers are definitely good tenors. Obviously after this much time since they were made and depending on what has happened to them since, you have to consider each individual sax on its own merits. I played one for a few years and basically didn't know what I had. My early tenors, in order, were a Super 20 which I now know was a very early one, a new MK VI (1963), the Bueuscher 400 (1964) and back to a VI in 1966.

·
SOTW Member
3,394 Posts
Quick answer my circa '71 400 tenor (sideways engraved, nickel plated keys, back bell keys) still has snap in's nortons amber rollers ,underslung neck, just like a real deal..Has the immense Buescher sound and intonation of course. I have lowered the action on mine and the thing is smooth and quick as my VI 'cept for the pinky's.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
18,000 Posts
The 400 post THC changed a bit, but it is still a GOOD horn. It is closer to a classic 'Crat....as at around the same time, I believe, the 'Crat got dumbed down.
The Super 400 was the direct descendant of the THC.

Generally people want the THC logo on their 400's, so there a significant market value drop at that point.

I have played post-THC 400's (only within 5 or 6 years-post) and Super 400's as well....still both very good horns. But they don't fetch THC prices.

·
SOTW Member
3,394 Posts
These later 400's are bargain priced for sure, for less than 2K (sometimes way cheaper too) you can get a great classic tenor, built like a tank.. The subtone actually kills my VI, the thing Bar honks and screams like crazy too. I could easily play it as a main tenor. Of course my VI would rebel so I play them both.

·
Registered
133 Posts
The super 400 is essentially the same as the THC except that the ring around the bill is not silver

Also the 400s that were not the supers generally did not have the underslung neck

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
never had a chance to play the pre-War 400 that seem much favored by some aficionados, though the post-War TH&Cs running just through the mid-fifties are deservedly held in high regard. Supers running up towards the end of the decade are likely in the same ball park. plenty of great 400s came out pre and post Selmer, that can be had at a friendly price. if someone has a later specimen that they find equal to all others, who am i to argue? but i find the late '40's TH&C to be quite magic.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts