Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys

I got offered an post Selmer Buescher 400 Tenor Sax for purchase.
On here and the internet in general I read various things about these horns made
after the Selmer purchase of Buescher. I'd like to have your hones opinion on this.
I'm looking just to play it a bit in band or orchestra, therefore a high end model is not
needed. I'll be able to get the horn for under 300$.

Thank you very much for your few cents :)

Edit: Forgot to mention that the horn is in great condition with new pads and was seen by a
repairman prior to selling.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,033 Posts
Buy it. These are decent horns, not as valued as the older ones but $300 for ANY tenor in working order is a great price. It may be worth twice that much. New pads even if not adjusted can be made to work.

·
Registered
681 Posts
They asked because the earlier ones had more in common with their Top Hat and Cane era brethren than the later. Either way though, like they said $300 for any Tenor in good playing condition is a good deal.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
12,710 Posts
There are modern ones with Buescher in a little circle (worth the least)

and those with a big BUESCHER in caps Going up the side of the bell worth the most...right after the buyout...still has Norton Springs etc...

Then there are those with BUECHER Up the bell with pretty engraving around it...Usually worth a little less than the second.

·
Banned
2,844 Posts
There are modern ones with Buescher in a little circle (worth the least)

and those with a big BUESCHER in caps Going up the side of the bell worth the most...right after the buyout...still has Norton Springs etc...

Then there are those with BUECHER Up the bell with pretty engraving around it...Usually worth a little less than the second.
The difference in the second and third version stated here is also back of bell keys on the second and side keys on the third. The third version still has the snaps and norton springs however the springs are no longer gold plated. The first version listed here is the latest one made.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I believe the 400's with the "Floral engraving" were the earliest after the Selmer buyout and the discontinuing of the back bell keys. I paid 300 for my floral 400, but it needed a repad. I did that myself, so I'm into the horn about 375 total. It has the snap ins, gold Norton springs, brown rollers and underslung octave. I'm just a hobby player, but I'm very happy with the horn. Compares equally to the B&S tenor I used to have which was the nicest horn I've played.

I've seen floral 400's on Ebay in the ballpark of $1000 in claimed playing condition.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Wow! $2200? Well, it does come with the case. These have the oversized bell, so finding an aftermarket case is abit more difficult. As much as I love my horn, if someone offered me $2200, it would be hard to say no.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,938 Posts

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,919 Posts
And that wins the prize for the beefiest, ugliest bell key guard that I have ever seen. That's gonna need a special kind of buyer.
Nice bell key guard! :evil:

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
How do you like your 400, saxcop? If I recall, you said it played very well, yeah?

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
I am overhauling a Buescher 157 right now. I am curious to see how they compare in sound.
Not to hijack this thread, but I nearly bought a 157 myself a couple months back, and would also be curious to know how it sounds and plays. They're pretty rare.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,450 Posts
The difference in the second and third version stated here is also back of bell keys on the second and side keys on the third. The third version still has the snaps and norton springs however the springs are no longer gold plated. The first version listed here is the latest one made.
My floral 400 has gold plated springs.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Buescher decal? Where? Or good pic?

I want to make a decal for the side of my Buescher 441 XXX that is cosmetically challenged but plays well. I was thinking of just the clear plastic decal might look okay? ---+ better than a bare bell. but where can I find a great picture that I can copy and have someone make decal!???. Engraving like the original would be good but how much does that cost anyone know?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts