Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I found this picture of Johnny playing. It's a Buescher 400 with special engraving. Does anybody know where this horn is now?

Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
he had many a saxophone in his career, unless someone has this particular saxophone signed with a letter that authenticates this saxophone as being his it would be very difficult to exactly attribute this particular horn to him

perhaps @Buescherian_True_Geek you may edit your post and cancel one of the two the same pictures

Registered
Johnny's Vito is known -

Johnny used a custom Vito sax towards the end of his career but many felt this didn't compare to his Buescher period.

Registered
Well that underslung octave mechanism (see image above) certainly narrows the field.

that, is just one of the so many brands and types he played

Registered
How many with an underslung octave mechanism?

yes, indeed but it isn鈥檛 the one in OP鈥檚 post.

Op want to know what happened to this Buescher 400 which appears to be silver plate ( could it be solid silver?) body and has a gold lacquer (or maybe gold plate neck

and bell).

I published the picture of what appears to be a 6M , so I know what it is but it was meant to show how many different horns this artist played, some will be in museums but most have to be in private hands, anyway , unique though they may have been ( such as the silver and gold above) unless there is a certificate of authenticity or Conn-Selmer owner of the brand Buescher has kept a record or the horn itself has an engraving saying property of Johnny Hodges(...and even then it may be a fake) it is impossible to actually say this is it.

There was the Leblanc owned by Frank Weiss for auction at 60K ( should be the one in the video above)

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yes, indeed but it isn't the one in OP's post.

Op want to know what happened to this Buescher 400 which appears to be silver plate ( could it be solid silver?) body and has a gold lacquer (or maybe gold plate neck

and bell).

I published the picture of what appears to be a 6M , so I know what it is but it was meant to show how many different horns this artist played, some will be in museums but most have to be in private hands, anyway , unique though they may have been ( such as the silver and gold above) unless there is a certificate of authenticity or Conn-Selmer owner of the brand Buescher has kept a record or the horn itself has an engraving saying property of Johnny Hodges(...and even then it may be a fake) it is impossible to actually say this is it.

There was the Leblanc owned by Frank Weiss for auction at 60K ( should be the one in the video above)
Well, if you look at the top of the bell you can guess an engraving that says Johnny Hodges. I think he had that on all his Buescher 400s .

well, we can guess all kinds of things.

I am intrigued about the reason why you ask the location of this horn?

Registered
Keilwerth saxes (S/A/T), Selmer clarinets (S/B), Altus Azumi flute

Maybe he just wants to look at it (e.g., if it's in a museum, or there are detailed photos of it online), or he's just curious about it's history.

Why the confrontational and interrogatory tone? Can't the OP just be curious?

Registered
Tenor, alto, Bb Clarinet, Flute
Maybe he just wants to look at it (e.g., if it's in a museum, or there are detailed photos of it online), or he's just curious about it's history.

Why the confrontational and interrogatory tone? Can't the OP just be curious?
His user name says it all. He's a Buescher geek.

Registered

Been a while since I've chimed in on these boards, but this thread caught my eye...

And as a fan of Bueschers myself, and of Hodges as well, I'd love to see a horn he played on up close as well. I'd certainly love to take a trip to Kansas City to see Bird's Grafton, even if he only ever used it once (and assuming it really is the one that Bird played).

You may as well be asking why an aviation geek would want to go see the Spirit Of St. Louis, or a car buff/Steve McQueen fan would want to see the original Bullitt Mustang.

I said I was intrigued, I didn鈥檛 question it. I was thinking more in the line of wanting to buy it

1 - 20 of 23 Posts