Sax on the Web Forum banner

Buescher 400 experts help! Is this sax relaquered?

3K views 16 replies 11 participants last post by  asanchez 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi,
I have the opportunity to get this 321xxx, circa 1949, Buescher 400 Tenor in what seems good original condition and with original case, for around 1.2 K. Since I am buying long distance and have never had one in my hands, I am not sure if the tone of the laquer or the condition of the engraving might show that the sax has been re lacquered.

Your help and comments will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Automotive design Motor vehicle Tunnel
Aircraft Automotive tire Building Art Tints and shades
Musical instrument Art Rim Artifact Automotive tire
Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Grille Vehicle
Musical instrument Brass instrument Wind instrument Lighting Barware
Musical instrument Brass instrument Wind instrument Music Reed instrument

See less See more
#2 ·
I'm no expert, but even for a relacq in need of a repad, that seems a great price.

I do know that these horns sometimes develop flux bleed around the silver bell "tone ring" shortly after manufacture. This horn has no visible flux bleed, which might mean it was cleaned up before being relacquered. Or maybe someone just attacked any bleed, leaving the original lacquer intact.

Other members, like madenma and JL, will know better.

#5 ·
I'd say original, but as the others have stated, either way it's a great price. The engraving looks very crisp and the serial # area looks original to my eyes as well. Lastly, I don't know how they'd mask the raised Buescher letters on the side of the bell if it was a relaq. Make sense?

#6 ·
Hard to say from these pics, but as Pete said, it doesn't matter at that price. Pick it up if you still can.

There were two different lacquer colors available, clear and honey-colored. The latter is far more common.

#9 ·
Wow, many thanks for all your valuable comments!

The sax is located in Mexico, where I am located at the moment, and the price is in USD. I am trying to secure the deal tomorrow and pay against delivery.

Fingers crossed.

I will share detailed pictures if the deal goes through!

Best

#10 ·
Wow, many thanks for all your valuable comments!

The sax is located in Mexico, where I am located at the moment, and the price is in USD. I am trying to secure the deal tomorrow and pay against delivery.

Fingers crossed.

I will share detailed pictures if the deal goes through!

Best

#11 ·
You're smart to buy that one! Great price for a great horn. I'd pretty much assume it will need work, but even if it needs a total overhaul, it's still a bargain (esp given that the overhauled horn will play fantastic). The lac doesn't matter in the least in terms of how the horn plays, but it looks original to me. And actually I think the lac/relac thing is more of an issue on the value of a MKVI or SBA than with the Bueschers.

No need to cross your fingers; these are great horns. Just be sure to have your tech look it over and put it into TOP playing condition.

#13 ·
Many thanks to you all.

I followed you comments and advise and purchased the sax. I picked it up yesterday and couldn't really be happier. Its got an amazing sound (although is seriously licking) and it is indeed one of the "sexiest" must beautiful saxes I´ve seen and owned.

It is in great shape with only one broken spring (it appears its got still all original Norton springs) and from what I can see its got the original clip on pad resonators, but that will be confirmed by my technician next week.

Anyway, thanks again!

Look at this

#16 ·
That is one heck'uv'a deal on a TH&C. Congratulations. I paid well over twice that much for mine (with a fresh overhaul, new pads, all original snaps and springs) and don't regret it a bit. I'm the 3rd owner since it was manufactured in 1947. My TH&C continues to be my most prized tenor saxophone both for its phenomenal play-ability and sound. And JL makes a great point: have the leaks fixed and check the set-up. Then you'll see what makes these horns special.

#17 ·
Many thanks to you all! Your comments are really appreciated.

I bought the horn, received it and couldn't be happier.

The instrument comes with all the original snap on resonators and norton springs. Very good condition over all indeed.

I am only intrigued by the key heights on 400s. I don´t have a way to compare it with other ones in my location. Do they benefit from being sort of on the open or closer side?. I do feel I could get en ever bigger sound with more open keys on this particular horn.

Regards

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.