Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,809 Posts
Yep. Saw that. Wonderful to see what they looked like, showroom fresh. That one might hit the 5K mark, even in this somewhat depressed vintage market, given the right bidders in the right state of horn-lust.

But if I had it, I would be afraid to play it!! Glad I've got one with an old very careful relacq job -- not terrified to pick up and get my grubby fingers all over it.

Just think of those poor cats who have vintage Gibson Les Paul guitars that are worth $50,000.00. You would have to buy an insurance policy just to keep it around.

·
Forum Contributor 2011-2015
1,865 Posts
Just think of those poor cats who have vintage Gibson Les Paul guitars that are worth $50,000.00. You would have to buy an insurance policy just to keep it around.
My dad had a Gibson Les Paul Jr. He and my mom died 16 years ago and my brother got it. No telling where it is now. I know my dad had it since around 1960. Not sure how long before that.

·
Registered
195 Posts
horn-lust
That is an apt description of that unsettling feeling I had when I checked out the photos, somewhat akin to checking out my first Playboy centrefold on the cusp of my adolescence. Nudge, nudge, wink, wink.

·
Registered
562 Posts
I hope someone in the family gets it! Mayho

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
7,212 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015
3,383 Posts
Phorn

·
Indistinguishable Resident Buescher Bigot and Foru
8,588 Posts
Condition of the case, accessories, engraving, rollers, etc is too good for a relacq. That said, it does look a little light in color, but it could just be the lighting. Pads could simply be discolored from age.

If it's real, and I suspect it is, it's a rare beast.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,536 Posts
If you are a real hardcore snob the serial # is too high for you... Find one like I used to have around 300K. The engravings are more elaborate and the lacquer is a darker honey color.

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,919 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013-
5,183 Posts
I don't think it is re-lacquered. Although it is always best to see the actual instrument rather than pictures, everything about this one says original to me. The darkness on the pads outside the tone holes is from the final lacquer coat that was applied after the engraving. That makes even the pads original. If one were popped out, it will have the original white stitching on the back of the pad. I have an alto in this serial range and the color is correct.
Here you can see the same thing with the pads.

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,919 Posts
I don't think it is re-lacquered. Although it is always best to see the actual instrument rather than pictures, everything about this one says original to me.
I agree. The problem with such good photos is things can actually look worse than in real life, e.g. what appears to be a buffing mark under the thumbrest.

·
Registered
785 Posts
It's the real deal, and the story checks out too. I spoke to the original seller before she sold the item to that store. She didn't identify it to me as a TH&C though, only a later model 400 exactly like a tenor we had listed and sold.

I found it last night online and was blown away.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
25,981 Posts
I like the question from the guy who isn't going to be able to pay. I would have straight up told him when payment is due and to not bid unless he had the funds to pay within that time. But by saying they'll be flexible, they probably opened the floodgate for non-paying bidders. Though I suppose that will work to add more bids and increase the final value... the seller is going to have to hope that the one that actually wins can actually pay.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts