Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1960s? Can anyone tell if this is an alto or tenor? Sorry, this is the only photo I have.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Mid to late 60's. Bell keys are on the left not behind like the real 400's. Serial number is probably around 400xxx or higher.

It's an alto. You can easily tell by the placement of the bell-to-body brace. The bell on a tenor projects much further past the brace.

Musical instrument Reed instrument Reed Plant Wind instrument

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Definitely an alto. Looks like a series 4 model, early sixties before the Selmer buy out. A look at the neck and of course the serial would nail it down for you.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
19,000 Posts
Mid to late 60's. Bell keys are on the left not behind like the real 400's. Serial number is probably around 400xxx or higher.
Good eye, so it's the second iteration of the 400, post THC.

It'd have been better if it were the first version of the 400, post THC...that one was still a pro-calibre horn and retained many of the THC specs and details.

This one is a more reduced version of that one. It is post-Selmer buyout. I don't believe Buescher dumbed down the second post-THC version, I believe Selmer USA did.

If it plays, market value maybe $700 or so. If selelr does not guarantee it plays, worth perhaps $325-375 tops.

·
Registered
3,155 Posts
I especially like it when Jaye uses alternate font colours to argue opposite sides of an issue. It's very dialectical.

·
Registered
137 Posts
The floral engraving was used pre-buyout but I think the switch to left sided bell keys happened right around the time of the buyout or just after--'63-'65. Then shortly after that they changed the engraving to the "other" big B. I call it the "Bowling-Alley-Big-B" because that engraving always reminds of the Brunswick bowling logo I remember seeing at the lanes when I was a kid.
Azure Rectangle Font Electric blue Circle

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
19,000 Posts
The floral engraving was used pre-buyout but I think the switch to left sided bell keys happened right around the time of the buyout or just after--'63-'65. Then shortly after that they changed the engraving to the "other" big B. I call it the "Bowling-Alley-Big-B" because that engraving always reminds of the Brunswick bowling logo I remember seeing at the lanes when I was a kid.
View attachment 110711
LOL, that's hilarious because I also call that engraving 'bowling ball'...and you are right, same reason, it always reminds me of Brunswick. (never became a very good bowler back then, but I really loved my marbelized teal 12# ball and the bowling shoes....).

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
34,720 Posts
Excellent info guys. Much appreciated.
The neck is often the easiest tell of alto vs tenor - and if a horn doesn't have a neck, don't buy it (unless you have a neck looking for the matching horn).

Reactions: wade68

·
Registered
731 Posts
altos usually measure 21" and tenors around 29". if you get the serial number, you can look up the date on saxpics.com. @super20dan if you click the 3 dots on the banner, you can switch to dark mode - it might help you tolerate other text colors.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts