Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings - I found a beautiful Buescher alto at a church auction a couple weeks ago. I played the clarinet almost 40 years ago and always wanted to play sax so I bought it. I took it to a local music shop and the sax teacher said it played really well. I can get nice sounds out of it already and I'm practicing every day. I'm using the Ed Sueta Band Method book based on the teacher's recommendation (is there a better book? or does it matter?). I was wondering if it would be worth my while to find an expert to look it over and tune it up if necessary and whether this is something I should insure. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
4,507 Posts
welcome to the forum, and particulary to the Buescher section. You've struck gold there, man. The 400's Top hat and cane series are one of the most sought after Buescher horns. Bueschers are rugged and dependable so if it plays well and a teacher has played on it and found nothing to mention, it's probably safe to asume you'll notice if something goes wrong (as in starts to leak or something) and you can have it looked over at that time.
for the time being, enjoy your find!

·
4,507 Posts
65 bucks for a 400's! Yikes! gonna go crimp me hands on a vise and get back to you. :mrgreen:

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
5,528 Posts
If I wasn't so happy for you, I might cry about now. What a GREAT DEAL!

Only now you must become worthy to play the ultimate monster alto.....:bluewink:

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,947 Posts
I was wondering if it would be worth my while to find an expert to look it over and tune it up if necessary and whether this is something I should insure.
Yes and yes.

·
4,507 Posts
looks very clean... I mean, I'm sure a tech can find some detail to work on... [rolleyes]

the neck BTW is pristine and has the exact angle a never pulled down buescher alto neck should have.

I'm very happy for you and at the same time I'm crying a little... but I think is sheer happiness for you. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have to admit I'm even more excited about this sax after hearing from you all. I feel a little sorry for my family who get stuck listening to me practice. Nah. Thanks all for the extra shot in the arm. :)

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,024 Posts
Lanvaettir, hopefully at this point you are starting to realize you've found one of the 'holy grail' saxophones and won it at that auction for a mere pittance of what it's worth. These are among the best horns ever made! As Juan pointed out earlier, since your teacher said it played very well, it may not need much, if any, work. Still, if I had a horn like that and got it essentially for free ($65 is such a low price, they might as well have just given it to you), I'd take it in and have it gone over by a reputable tech with a fine tooth comb. Even if it needed a total overhaul (which I doubt, based on your teacher's assessment), you'd still be way ahead on the deal. In case you're wondering, a vintage horn like that can be put into 'brand new' playing condition, and it will outplay any modern horn, imo.

Guess I should check out some church auctions... except that might truly spell the end of the world if I walked into a church. :) :)

Congratulations on the buy of the century!

p.s. It may be a bit soon to start looking for a mouthpiece, but talk to your teacher about a mouthpiece if you don't already have a fairly good one. The mpc is just as important as the horn and at some point you'll want to match that horn up with a suitable mpc to help bring out its full potential.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member.
1,526 Posts
To the lucky TH&C owner... Yes you have been chosen, like the prettiest girl in school asks you to the 'Sadie Hawkins Dance' ( for some European or other continent dwellers that don't know of this U.S.A. practice, occasionally in middle and high schools there are 'girl asks boy for a date' dance parties )... So dance 'baby'... you got a partner that can really move!...

·
Registered
577 Posts
Congratulations on the buy of the century!

p.s. It may be a bit soon to start looking for a mouthpiece, but talk to your teacher about a mouthpiece if you don't already have a fairly good one. The mpc is just as important as the horn and at some point you'll want to match that horn up with a suitable mpc to help bring out its full potential.
Lanvaettir don't tell us that in the case was a vintage New York Meyer that looks like it was never played????

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,384 Posts
Greetings - I found a beautiful Buescher alto at a church auction a couple weeks ago.
Welcome to SOTW!

Whoa! Fer a second, I thought you said "65" dollars! Ha Ha!

Sixty-five dollars American? Sixty-five just regular dollar-type dollars?

Did you also have to perform sexual favors for someone unpleasant?

I don't like your attitude.

I'm starting to feel a deep, abiding hate welling up deep inside of me.

"Wicked. Tricksy, False. We ought to wring his filthy little neck. Kill him! Kill him! And then we take The Precious..."

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
lol I felt a little guilty after I won it and my wife was really pissed when I told her that I wouldn't sell it but we'll all get over it. I spoke to the lady who donated it and she bought it from the wife of the original owner back in the late 60's for her daughter who never played it. It was sitting in her attic all this time. The case is a little worse for wear but the horn seems to be in excellent shape. The pads and springs looked good to the sax teacher I took it to. It had one screw that had fallen out but I found it in the case and fixed it.

I still can't blow the lowest note (Bb?) but I think it's me not the horn. I'm hunting down a sax "expert" who plays professionally and tunes and repairs old horns so hopefully I'll know more soon. Thanks for all your comments.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts