Sax on the Web Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
638 Posts
My understanding is the top line Kesslers are made in Vietnam, put together by no more than a handful of craftsmen. The build quality & final set up done by Kessler prior to shipping seems to support that. I have no direct evidence for the manufacturing site claims, but the horn itself is as nice as the Serie II that I owned for 20 yrs, in every way.

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
For $2000 you could get a used pro horn from Yamaha, Yanagisawa and maybe even Selmer. A Yamaha YTS-62 is a great horn. Good intonation, arguably the best keywork ever, and built to last. Even a YTS-23(which I currently play) is a great horn and I have owned all the horns considered to be top end(Selmer VI's,VII,SerieIII,Ref36,Conn10M,Buescher Aristocrat, JK SX90R,Yanagisawa T880, Yamaha 23,62,82Z). My 23, after having a setup from a reputable tech, has been a joy to play. I recently got a Retro Revival super D FL mpc and I love this setup. A great mpc on any horn can make a huge difference.

The other thing to consider is if you end up not liking the horn you purchase you'll probably get your money back in full on a used horn but a new one will leave you in the red.

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
The only way to get a true professional horn on a budget, is to buy one second hand that was made by a reputable company that has stood the test of time; whether vintage American, or otherwise.
I fully agree with Grumps!!

·
Registered
638 Posts
Back in either 1980-81, when I was in high school, I got a Yani A-880 for a Xmas gift from my grandparents. I played it for 10 years, throughout college jazz band/frat parties & local gigs afterwards. It was a better-made & better-playing horn than my Bundy which I'd had since 4th grade (foam rubber pads, etc.). At the time in the early 80s, Yani was considered the new mfg on the block, at least where I was from (it was marketed as a cheaper pro-level horn, to compete w/ Selmer). Point is...at some point in time, every manufacturer is new. Some make good horns early on, some don't. You can get a good horn from a company that has yet to stand the test of time, has yet to have an established reputation.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello everyone! So I like many others are looking for budget pro horns and two names pop into my head, that being Kessler and Chateau. I also heard of a new brand coming up with a promo video soon I believe called Zen Cooper. Professor Wallace of Saxophone Academy on youtube is planning on a review video. Other than the brands I've mentioned, does anyone else know of any other brands that make budget professional saxophones?
Thanks!

EDIT : I'm looking around for a nice Tenor sax and my budget is rolling right around 2K USD but lower if possible. Kessler seems to be a really good option
Based on my experience with students I would recommend the best used Yamaha you can find.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have played an AMATI tenor sax for 20 years and LOVE IT! I paid (at the time) $800 for it and had it shipped from Copenhagen. They are available and probably in the price range you require.

·
Registered
655 Posts
I have owned Barone Tenor and Baritone saxophones, both excellent saxes. I have also owned a used Kessler Baritone sax and I currently own Kessler's Solist Bari that is a Yani 901 copy made in China. The Solist bari is also a great horn and I got it brand new for around $2400 from Kessler in 2015.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts