Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
I'm a simp for Rascher
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone! So I like many others are looking for budget pro horns and two names pop into my head, that being Kessler and Chateau. I also heard of a new brand coming up with a promo video soon I believe called Zen Cooper. Professor Wallace of Saxophone Academy on youtube is planning on a review video. Other than the brands I've mentioned, does anyone else know of any other brands that make budget professional saxophones?
Thanks!

EDIT : I'm looking around for a nice Tenor sax and my budget is rolling right around 2K USD but lower if possible. Kessler seems to be a really good option

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
saxophone, flutes and lil' bit of clarinet
7,427 Posts
The brands you mention don’t actually make saxophones themselves. They have saxophones built for them in Asia and then put their names on them

·
7,427 Posts
If you tell us what your budget is, you will get a lot of suggestions here.

·
Registered
I'm a simp for Rascher
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The brands you mention don’t actually make saxophones themselves. They have saxophones built for them in Asia and then put their names on them
Ahh that makes sense, so are all these brands then of similar quality or something?

·
Registered
394 Posts
Some of the Kessler models are made by Tenon, which also has their own house brand, called Chateau. Taiwanese company with factories in Vietnam, Taiwan or perhaps other places, probably, too.

·
Registered
I'm a simp for Rascher
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Some of the Kessler models are made by Tenon, which also has their own house brand, called Chateau. Taiwanese company with factories in Vietnam, Taiwan or perhaps other places, probably, too.
Oh ok, do you know which kessler models are made by tenon? I'd imagine it'd be their higher end "handmade" sax line

·
Registered
394 Posts
Oh ok, do you know which kessler models are made by tenon? I'd imagine it'd be their higher end "handmade" sax line
I can only tell you what I know based on my experiences, so don't take it to the bank as "the word." According to Dave Kessler, who I talked with when buying my soprano saxophones from him (in 2015/2016)...he stated that most of his house band horns are made in Vietnam, and a few in Taiwan. I currently own/have owned the Kessler "performance" model sopranos as well as the "handmade," and the quality was not all that different (both made in Vietnam). They are good horns for the money.

If you are looking for budget horns, brand new, Kessler is the way to go. Of course, depends on your budget. Used saxophones, even pro models, can be had for less compared to brand new.

·
Grafton + TH & C alto || Naked Lady 10M || TT soprano || Martin Comm III
29,885 Posts
I find that the student Tenon horns are way better than the ones they call Professional.

I did some blindfold testing at Namm while there as a consultant for a company looking for a new supplier, the so-called “student”Chateau were very very good.

·
7,427 Posts
Reactions: KingBap

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
No one has mentioned Phil Barone yet, so I will. I bought a Barone tenor as a backup to my Mark VI, and it ended up being almost its equal. I went back to the VI once I put a Boston Sax Shop Heritage neck on it, but the Barone still gets some playing time. It is an excellent horn. I think they are available through SaxAlley, but Phil's website also has them. A little above $2K, depending on finish and model.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
2,142 Posts
Right off the top of my head, used Jupiter Artist series horns, older Yanagisawa stencils, Selmer USA Model 164 “Omega, Yamaha YTS-52.

·
Registered
Cannonball Vintage Reborn Tenor Sax with Otto Link STM NY 7
302 Posts
cannonball
+1 for Cannonball
Cannonball is an underrated saxophone because of their business model. They do not sell on the internet and con only be purchased through authorized local stores. They are price competitive with Yamaha and Selmer instruments in the 3k price range, but I found them to out perform those brands. And you may find the saxes marketed for 3k for under that price. Go to a shop that sells them and play-test them against the big brands we all know. If you want a vintage sound, test a Vintage Reborn.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
I think it's fairly easy to find a good quality tenor for less than $2000 if you're willing to buy used.

I've heard nothing but good things about Kessler and Chateau, so you if you really want a brand new horn, those very well might be good options. But I also know that it's fairly easy, in most areas, to find a good used Yamaha YTS-23 for around $800. And it you're more inclined towards the "vintage," there are Martins and Buechers galore in the $1400-1800 range.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
40,819 Posts
EDIT : I'm looking around for a nice Tenor sax and my budget is rolling right around 2K USD but lower if possible. Kessler seems to be a really good option

Are you looking to buy one saxophone or are you thinking of buying many?

I read somewhere else that you are repairing saxophones for clients .

If you are looking at buying one saxophone, $2000 would give you plenty choice on the secondhand market.
If you are looking at buying a saxophone to resell ( so a number of saxophones), your best bet is to contact some Taiwanese companies ( ideally you could travel when this will be possibile to a trade fair like the one in Shanghai to get in touch personally to as many as possible companies).

Alternatively I may be able to get you in touch with a Taiwanese company where I worked before.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts