Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just purchased a Golden Age Project R2 Mk II, and wanted to test it out and compare to some of my other microphones, in this case an ADK A51 large diaphragm condensor, and a Rode NT3. All three microphones are fairly cheap, in the £100-£150 range, though not sure if the ADK is available any more.

Here are the three clips, I'll say which is which later, would be interested to know which you prefer and why! (The clips between tenor and soprano aren't necessarily in the same order).

Clip 1
Clip 2
Clip 3

Soprano Clip 1
Soprano Clip 2
Soprano Clip 3

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Need to get some Audio Technica in there...kind of hard to compare, seems like there's a bit of reverb on 2 that I don't hear on the others.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Any particular AT mic you're thinking of? Send me one and I'll happily test it out!

No reverb or processing on any of the recordings, so you'll just be hearing the room, will be more prominent on one than the others.

Which did you prefer?

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
I need to listen again and decide...the second was nice though.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Soprano...#1 for me. For tenor, I'm going to say #3; it wasn't the most neutral of the three. In fact, it had a brighter, more forward sound than the other two. The reason that I like this is that on tenor I like a mic that gives me a little bit of brightness because when I mix it and throw some reverb on it, it stands out in the mix. It's like when you do a sound check in an empty room and get the sound just right but when the people show up and dampen the room, everything changes. For an acoustic set, I'd pick one of the other two, for sure.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's quite interesting, and I know full well what you mean. I definitely like the first one for soprano best of all too, for tenor I'm less certain.

·
Registered
718 Posts
I liked Clip2 on tenor much more than the others. I couldn't really determine much on the soprano clips, maybe because I don't play soprano and don't listen to it much either.

Thanks very much for posting these. It is really interesting!

·
Registered
114 Posts
Soprano #1 is best. I'm gonna guess it's the Golden Age R2 -- sounds like it has the smooth, full tone of a ribbon mic.

I'm less sure what's up with the tenor clips. I think #1 probably sounds the best. #2 is probably the Golden Age.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'll post which is which later tonight; interesting that so far for soprano the opinion seems to be unanimous but opinion is much more split for tenor.

·
Registered
716 Posts
My order of preference for the tenor:

My guess is that #3 is the Rode Mic. I actually liked #2 because it seems a little smoother on the high end. Probably not the most neutral.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So think a fair few got this, but here are the mics:

Tenor

Clip 1 - ADK A51
Clip 2 - Golden Age Project R2
Clip 3 - Rode NT3

Soprano

Clip 1 - Golden Age R2
Clip 2 - ADK A51
Clip 3 - Rode NT3

I definitely like the GA R2 for soprano, and felt the ADK was worst for that horn.

For tenor, I'm much less sure. The R2 is warm, but perhaps because my tenor tone is naturally darker, I think the additional brightness from the two condensors adds something to that, though probably prefer the ADK over the Rode there.

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Very interesting, thank you again for sharing. I should do something like this with my 2 lipstick condensers... I have the AT Pro37R and an MXL. They're pretty comparable.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts