Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there truly such a thing as a budget bassoon that would work well for a doubler? While I understand that the Fox polypropylene bassoons are a fantastic value, even the used ones I'm finding are a bit beyond my price range.

Admittedly, my budget is small, $2000max, but are there any thoughts on a model that would fulfill my requirements, and not be total junk?

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Save up for a Fox, I still see some used plastic Renards on EBay for around $2000. You’ll be glad you waited, and have a far easier time playing the instrument. And when you get one, do yourself a favor and get handmade reeds and lessons from a pro, you’ll save a lot of aggravation.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,887 Posts
Anything can happen if you look carefully.

I once bought a wooden Huller bassoon is playing state for less than that and then sold it to a shop with a nice profit, the shop of course would have sold it for even more (after they tighten it up).

Foxes are of course the “ to go” option for resin. Lintons are cheaper but very likely, not worth buying.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
I bought my selmer signet (I believe it's a kohlert stencil) for half of your budget and added some bucks on new pads, corks etc.
Serves me well for my doubler's needs. For 2000 you'll find one with a little patience!

·
Registered
418 Posts
My bassoon is a Schreiber from the 70s. It was probably a school horn but it was reconditioned, so it looks pretty darn good. It's not the best bassoon by any means, but it has a high D key and is wood.I don't remember exactly how or where exactly I found it, but I think I was just searching for used bassoons and I found some random brick and mortar store selling it. I thought it was $2800, but my insurance listing says $2300. Good luck in your search.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Just after I posted above, I looked on EBay and found two plastic renards within your budget. My original advice stands, anything else will be a crapshoot in that price range.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts