Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
5,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm with a group a really fine musicians all in out 50's (Early). It's a quarter with additional singer if needed - you know the routine. I started with the group about 2 years ago on and off. They have 7 CD's self release which have won some local awards. The group is good but still 'Small-Town' good if that makes sense.

Long story short - We'd like to put together a tour the 3rd week of April 2019 (That's when we can get off work) in the UK and/or Belgium. Something we all have on our Bucket Lists. It's really not about the money - it's just trying to feel like 'real' jazz musicians. Livin' the dream and all that stuff.

Any thoughts on where to start? Anyone with contacts - we could open for someone and/or work with a local singer. We have some promo stuff I'll like once it's finished.

Thanks

·
Registered
121 Posts
Living in Belgium, I can tell you that in the second and third week of April is our Easter holiday, that opens some possibilities I guess.
Most music festivals over here are in the summer period, don't know of any music festivals in that period.
You could contact http://www.opatuur.be/ in Gent. He used to have a jazz cafe, now het organises gig's in a somewhat bigger venue (haven't been there yet).

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,580 Posts
I've toured EU 3 times and even if some of the individual dates weren't huge wins the experience alone was worth it. The people there, generally speaking, are MUCH MORE inclined to come see a band they don't know and just seem to appreciate live music more than here in the US.

I have no jazz contacts to share with you, but with the internet and Facebook being what it is, you should be able to do everything from here no problem.

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,650 Posts
I toured the U.K. for three consecutive years. If money is not that big a deal, charities are a big deal in the U.K. and you might be able to organize some fund raising concerts almost anyplace. I did a lot of work using their services. Pete, if seeing this post, is probably one of your best specific resources.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I was lucky enough to tour Europe in high school many years ago. My favorite location was Montreaux, Switzerland. Not during the jazz festival, but still a receptive audience and a beautiful city.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts