Sax on the Web Forum banner
101 - 103 of 103 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,403 Posts
Learning a rhythm section double is a great idea - piano being the best. I’ve ended up playing more jazz gigs as a guitarist, than as a saxophonist of late.
Well, I'm certainly biased toward the piano, since I'm technically a piano professor.... :) But there was a time in my youth where I wanted to be the next Jaco Pastorius and spent more time on the electric bass than anything else. It was honestly insanely valuable for my aural development, and I'd recommend for anybody on this forum to buy an inexpensive (but decent) electric bass and try to learn to play along with a few rock or blues albums by ear. Few instruments give as clear, intuitive, and visceral a map of intervals as the bass, in my opinion.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #102 ·
Just a little update... pushed really hard and got a new gig coming up! I leave on Sunday for a week of rehearsals in Memphis, playing with a Motown/Soul/Blues group on Holland America cruise line. This'll be a totally different experience, as I'll have complete access to the guest area, my own room, and no extra duties.

p.s. we'll do "the crossing" in April, and I'll be based in Amsterdam checking out the Baltic Sea if any of my European friends would like to have a meet up!

-Bubba-

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,403 Posts
Man, awesome! Sounds like that'll be great for MANY things... intuitive understanding of American music, quality of life, internalization of genuinely good repertoire, quality of life, quality of life, .... 😁

Memphis has some really phenomenal musicians, particularly for funk/soul/RnB/hip hop. I'll be curious if any people from that area will be in the band with you. Potentially a great opportunity to absorb some of their info.

101 - 103 of 103 Posts