Sax on the Web Forum banner
81 - 100 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #83 ·
I appreciate hearing the update! I'm sorry it isn't working out very well with this company. The 3-months onboard sounds pretty rough. Good luck with your auditions!
Thanks man, I appreciate the support. At the moment, I'm happily putting together some up-to-date recordings.
Three months with no shore leave? I wouldn't go back to that. The resident guest ent thing, maybe.
I understand it might not be appealing to everyone, especially people at a different point in their career/lives. Keep in mind...
1) I was expecting to go to Europe (nearly 50 ports) for the first time in my life
2) This is my first opportunity to use my doubling skills after 5+ years studying flute/clarinet
3) I've been out of the music business for the last 16 months waiting for gigs to open up.

Sadly, the three months without shore leave is still worth it for me to get some experience (and work during the pandemic). Luckily I still have my guest cabin/balcony, unlike most departments.

-Bubba-

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
27,376 Posts
I wouldn't get on a cruise ship now unless I definitely knew I could stay on it for at least three months if need be. Potential quarantine, you know. But hey, room & board and you get paid. Bonus, you get to play horn. I'm glad you got the opportunity again Bubba.

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2008
3,885 Posts
Thanks man, I appreciate the support. At the moment, I'm happily putting together some up-to-date recordings.

I understand it might not be appealing to everyone, especially people at a different point in their career/lives. Keep in mind...
1) I was expecting to go to Europe (nearly 50 ports) for the first time in my life
2) This is my first opportunity to use my doubling skills after 5+ years studying flute/clarinet
3) I've been out of the music business for the last 16 months waiting for gigs to open up.

Sadly, the three months without shore leave is still worth it for me to get some experience (and work during the pandemic). Luckily I still have my guest cabin/balcony, unlike most departments.

-Bubba-
True, a single guest cabin goes a long way.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #86 ·
Just sharing a couple videos here... I've been hard at work writing charts and horn parts for my friend/colleague Danny Smart here. He's the guitar soloist onboard, and we did a featured show with him and the orchestra, including one of his original songs "Blackbird." The second one is a short (surprise) solo on the tune "Have I Told You Lately" by Van Morrison and made famous by Rod Stewart.

'
http://instagr.am/p/CTLGL6hD45p/
-Bubba-

·
Registered
635 Posts
Just sharing a couple videos here... I've been hard at work writing charts and horn parts for my friend/colleague Danny Smart here. He's the guitar soloist onboard, and we did a featured show with him and the orchestra, including one of his original songs "Blackbird." The second one is a short (surprise) solo on the tune "Have I Told You Lately" by Van Morrison and made famous by Rod Stewart.
-Bubba-
Sucks with all that set and production lighting they couldn't even give you a spot for your solos.
But seriously, I'm amazed by the cruise expenditure for musical entertainment!
Audience guaranteed, steady pay, travel, decent food and fun international crew I hope, chance to make your musical mark to whatever degree you are into it--not an awful gig, most of the time, seems like.
After Navy aircraft carrier cruises I was ship's doc and windsurfing instructor on Wind Star many decades ago--something about the sea. My buddy our trio's Polish bass player liked to borrow my cabin for passenger trysts.

·
3,885 Posts
My buddy our trio's Polish bass player liked to borrow my cabin for passenger trysts.
Strictly verboten these days. I'm not saying it doesn't happen, but it's an automatic ticket home.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #90 ·
Sucks with all that set and production lighting they couldn't even give you a spot for your solos.
The lighting guy is actually killer-- that was supposed to be a guitar solo, but in the moment, he decided that we had enough guitar solos for the night. If you notice, it took him about 5 seconds to get the overhead light on me. Tonight we did the show again, and there was a spotlight for that moment.

Appreciate the kind comments though, and yes, that is a one-way ticket home, and I've had to fire some of those guys myself.

-Bubba-

·
Registered
635 Posts
The lighting guy is actually killer--...took him about 5 seconds to get the overhead light on me... there was a spotlight for that moment.
Sorry my first reaction was to find something negative to criticize. Cool that you admire and respect your crew and they support your performance. Re: my other irrelevant comment, guess I was mostly guilty that I got a passenger stateroom and others were crammed in 2- or 3-to-a-tiny-cabin.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #93 ·
Sorry my first reaction was to find something negative to criticize. Cool that you admire and respect your crew and they support your performance. Re: my other irrelevant comment, guess I was mostly guilty that I got a passenger stateroom and others were crammed in 2- or 3-to-a-tiny-cabin.
Absolutely no worries, I almost made a joke of it by putting an arrow overhead.

There's always guilt involved onboard. I can eat places that the waiters can't. Shop in the shops, go to the spa, etc.

-Bubba-

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #94 ·
Captains Log #265:

Back in Cincinnati after a short stint in Orlando visiting family. Had a nice 12-day crossing to the USA with no passengers. We had some fantastic parties, no work for myself except for some paid writing/arranging work. See here if you don't believe me. Anyway, the last few months were a little bit better than before-- big changes in upper management really changed the mood of the ship, but I'm still not going to continue with that company at those rates, so I'm exploring options and have an offer already for March 27.

Since my last update, 90% of my work time has been fixing existing charts, and producing tracks/charts for some of my colleagues and guest entertainers. If you've done similar work, you know just how bad a lot of the sheet music/charts are from really fantastic artists. I'm looking forward to keeping that up as another stream of income-- happily taking advice. :)

-Bubba-

·
Registered
245 Posts
Nice to read these updates! Wherever you end up, whether it's the existing offer or another, I hope it improves your situation. (12 days without passengers does sound like a nice break though!)

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #96 ·
Evening everyone, I finished putting this together for my agency a few weeks ago and thought I'd share it here as a sort of "this is what I do." Again, this is my first true doubling gig, so there's plenty to work on there. Probably 75% of this was sight reading, or the second show.

-Bubba-

·
Registered
3,688 Posts
Since the title says "Saxophonist and Music Director" - you ought to include at least one take of you playing saxophone, and maybe even giving the cutoff to the band ... er... orchestra at some point. Just sayin...

Nicely done though, and with a little work you'll get more work :) Hope your next gig is better, and for more money!

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #98 ·
Hahahaha I appreciate that Steve, I deleted and retyped that part about ten times before deciding to keep it. This is just one of several videos I made-- including two videos of ONLY Pop Sax and Combo playing.
Nicely done though, and with a little work you'll get more work :) Hope your next gig is better, and for more money!
Fingers crossed!

-Bubba-

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,377 Posts
Sounds like you're getting some really solid professional development, Jake, and in a very strange period in our civilization's/industry's history, too. While I never did the cruise ship thing, I've played and arranged music for zillions of "function" gigs and there's no question that it's made my creative work better. It's ALL good experience, and I hope you continue to see new opportunities.

If you get a chance, I'd also highly recommend building some skills on a rhythm section instrument and eventually exploring the possibility of doing some gigging on that (keys, bass, guitar, or drums). For an arranger/music director/band leader type, it's immensely valuable to have some first-hand experience from that perspective! It's also fun AF. :)

·
3,885 Posts
If you get a chance, I'd also highly recommend building some skills on a rhythm section instrument and eventually exploring the possibility of doing some gigging on that (keys, bass, guitar, or drums). For an arranger/music director/band leader type, it's immensely valuable to have some first-hand experience from that perspective! It's also fun AF. :)
Learning a rhythm section double is a great idea - piano being the best. I’ve ended up playing more jazz gigs as a guitarist, than as a saxophonist of late.

81 - 100 of 101 Posts