Sax on the Web Forum banner
81 - 93 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
I appreciate hearing the update! I'm sorry it isn't working out very well with this company. The 3-months onboard sounds pretty rough. Good luck with your auditions!

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2008
3,884 Posts
Three months with no shore leave? I wouldn't go back to that. The resident guest ent thing, maybe.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #83 ·
I appreciate hearing the update! I'm sorry it isn't working out very well with this company. The 3-months onboard sounds pretty rough. Good luck with your auditions!
Thanks man, I appreciate the support. At the moment, I'm happily putting together some up-to-date recordings.
Three months with no shore leave? I wouldn't go back to that. The resident guest ent thing, maybe.
I understand it might not be appealing to everyone, especially people at a different point in their career/lives. Keep in mind...
1) I was expecting to go to Europe (nearly 50 ports) for the first time in my life
2) This is my first opportunity to use my doubling skills after 5+ years studying flute/clarinet
3) I've been out of the music business for the last 16 months waiting for gigs to open up.

Sadly, the three months without shore leave is still worth it for me to get some experience (and work during the pandemic). Luckily I still have my guest cabin/balcony, unlike most departments.

-Bubba-

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
27,253 Posts
I wouldn't get on a cruise ship now unless I definitely knew I could stay on it for at least three months if need be. Potential quarantine, you know. But hey, room & board and you get paid. Bonus, you get to play horn. I'm glad you got the opportunity again Bubba.

·
3,884 Posts
Thanks man, I appreciate the support. At the moment, I'm happily putting together some up-to-date recordings.

I understand it might not be appealing to everyone, especially people at a different point in their career/lives. Keep in mind...
1) I was expecting to go to Europe (nearly 50 ports) for the first time in my life
2) This is my first opportunity to use my doubling skills after 5+ years studying flute/clarinet
3) I've been out of the music business for the last 16 months waiting for gigs to open up.

Sadly, the three months without shore leave is still worth it for me to get some experience (and work during the pandemic). Luckily I still have my guest cabin/balcony, unlike most departments.

-Bubba-
True, a single guest cabin goes a long way.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #86 ·
Just sharing a couple videos here... I've been hard at work writing charts and horn parts for my friend/colleague Danny Smart here. He's the guitar soloist onboard, and we did a featured show with him and the orchestra, including one of his original songs "Blackbird." The second one is a short (surprise) solo on the tune "Have I Told You Lately" by Van Morrison and made famous by Rod Stewart.

'
http://instagr.am/p/CTLGL6hD45p/
-Bubba-

·
Registered
630 Posts
Just sharing a couple videos here... I've been hard at work writing charts and horn parts for my friend/colleague Danny Smart here. He's the guitar soloist onboard, and we did a featured show with him and the orchestra, including one of his original songs "Blackbird." The second one is a short (surprise) solo on the tune "Have I Told You Lately" by Van Morrison and made famous by Rod Stewart.
-Bubba-
Sucks with all that set and production lighting they couldn't even give you a spot for your solos.
But seriously, I'm amazed by the cruise expenditure for musical entertainment!
Audience guaranteed, steady pay, travel, decent food and fun international crew I hope, chance to make your musical mark to whatever degree you are into it--not an awful gig, most of the time, seems like.
After Navy aircraft carrier cruises I was ship's doc and windsurfing instructor on Wind Star many decades ago--something about the sea. My buddy our trio's Polish bass player liked to borrow my cabin for passenger trysts.

·
Registered
316 Posts
@Bubba06 - thank you for creating this thread and keeping it going. Really good stuff. Insight into a completely different realm.

Continued success to you and good health. Cheers!

·
3,884 Posts
My buddy our trio's Polish bass player liked to borrow my cabin for passenger trysts.
Strictly verboten these days. I'm not saying it doesn't happen, but it's an automatic ticket home.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #90 ·
Sucks with all that set and production lighting they couldn't even give you a spot for your solos.
The lighting guy is actually killer-- that was supposed to be a guitar solo, but in the moment, he decided that we had enough guitar solos for the night. If you notice, it took him about 5 seconds to get the overhead light on me. Tonight we did the show again, and there was a spotlight for that moment.

Appreciate the kind comments though, and yes, that is a one-way ticket home, and I've had to fire some of those guys myself.

-Bubba-

·
Registered
459 Posts
The mere thought of being on a cruise ship, even as a pampered guest, makes me want to look for my old dealers number. :O :)

·
Registered
630 Posts
The lighting guy is actually killer--...took him about 5 seconds to get the overhead light on me... there was a spotlight for that moment.
Sorry my first reaction was to find something negative to criticize. Cool that you admire and respect your crew and they support your performance. Re: my other irrelevant comment, guess I was mostly guilty that I got a passenger stateroom and others were crammed in 2- or 3-to-a-tiny-cabin.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #93 ·
Sorry my first reaction was to find something negative to criticize. Cool that you admire and respect your crew and they support your performance. Re: my other irrelevant comment, guess I was mostly guilty that I got a passenger stateroom and others were crammed in 2- or 3-to-a-tiny-cabin.
Absolutely no worries, I almost made a joke of it by putting an arrow overhead.

There's always guilt involved onboard. I can eat places that the waiters can't. Shop in the shops, go to the spa, etc.

-Bubba-

81 - 93 of 93 Posts