Sax on the Web Forum banner
41 - 60 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Sitting in a Mexican hospital waiting for an MMR shot. Apparently the doctor didn’t check the box on my paperwork and my childhood shots probably wore off. :(

The bands killer— especially at the pop stuff. We do different shows each night: “Boogie Nights,” “Motown,” “80s,” etc.

-Bubba-

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
27,343 Posts
The bands killer- especially at the pop stuff. We do different shows each night: "Boogie Nights," "Motown," "80s," etc.
That is very encouraging, having just come back from a cruise where there were no bands to be had. Maybe a piano player, and an acoustic guitar/singer combo... but no bands. The stage shows used canned music. Really, really depressing.

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2008
3,885 Posts
That is very encouraging, having just come back from a cruise where there were no bands to be had. Maybe a piano player, and an acoustic guitar/singer combo... but no bands. The stage shows used canned music. Really, really depressing.
I hope you wrote that on the comment cards at the end of the cruise - they obsess over those things!

·
Registered
342 Posts
Grumps.... do you mind sharing which Cruise Line used canned music for their shows? I would be horrified to pay for a cruise & have this happen to me!!!!

The more I think about it, the more upsetting this would be!

·
SOTW Member
3,394 Posts
Hey Bubba...Get ready for Boat Drill...cheers and have fun !!

PS: Because, on my last NCL ship gig out of Miami our main show was 3 horns/Rhythm behind the curtain playing with tracks..

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Finally wrapping up trainings this week and looking forward to getting off in the Bahamas, Turks/Caicos, etc.

Grumps.... do you mind sharing which Cruise Line used canned music for their shows? I would be horrified to pay for a cruise & have this happen to me!!!!
Carnival, out of Baltimore.
Yeah, I can actually confirm this. We only play one of the mini-productions per week, with tracks, and in ears, but plenty for micing. It's all tenor- I could play flute on the first song, but they would have to cut the track or I'd have to learn the improvised solo, so it's not really worth it to me.

-Bubba-

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
I want to tell you about the groups I’m playing in here...
1) Showband (“Glorious Bandsters”). This is on the main stage/Lobby bar most nights of the cruise. We do themed nights... “boogie nights,” “Motown,” “80s night,” “all jams on deck,” as well as two instrumental set of standards. Drums, Bass, Guitar, Piano, Three Horns, And Two singers. (Male/female)

2) Trio (“Horn Hub”). This is a series of medleys, each about 30 minutes with tracks. Each has a different theme: Horn Bands, Motown, Latin, 80s, etc. It’s not the most enjoyable sets, but sometimes the audience really gets into it.

3) Amor Cubano: We play/move during one of the production shows. It’s done with tracks on the parts we aren’t playing, wireless mics, and in ear monitors.

4) Latin Band (“Latin Connection”). They play mostly salsa, mambos, popular Latin tunes, some Latin jazz, etc. The Horn Hub has just begun to play with them HOPEFULLY to replace some of our trio sets. I’ve also been sitting in with them to do Standards in a Latin style. They’re all Colombian: Piano, Bass, two percussionists, and they all sing.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
Been two months now, which is the halfway point. We have a new pair of singers from Mississipi and Trinidad in the last couple weeks; they both sound nice, it's just getting together some of the forms with the band without rehearsing. We also lost our trombonist today, and we're waiting for a replacement. Not sure what's going to be happening to the horn trio sets until then.

-Bubba-

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
Hey Bubba, I'm on the P&O Britannia starting Jan 9. We're in the Eastern Caribbean.
Merlin! We're there every other week. I'm in St. Thomas right now, San Juan tomorrow, and Grand Turk the following day. Where are you headed?

Enjoy your weather! The Cincinnati area is not so weather-pleasant right now!
I love it! My family sends me pictures of frozen cars, and I respond with pictures on the beach.

-Bubba-

·
Registered
356 Posts
Hey Bubba, glad your enjoying it. I did 4 years on ships and really enjoyed it (there was a few bouts of mild depression, sea day can be loonnggg). I have the pleasure of cruising Alaska, Caribbean, Mediterranean, South America. My best cruise was 99 days around the world with Holland America, we had a great 10 piece band, 3 saxes, 2 tpt, 1 tbone plus rhythm section and lots of variety in the music.

I ended up meeting my wife on the high seas, that kinda signaled the end of my cruising. Now happily married with 15yrs in Canadian Forces Band Branch. There is life after cruising...lol.

As others have mentioned, establish a routine, take advantage of the time to practice and get your doubling together...Cheers mate...wishing you smooth seas. (oh save some money;)

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Have fun! I did Carnival ships for too many years. It's a great way to get a ton of practice, party a bit (or a lot), and if the hang is good, it can be a lot of fun. If the dancers are cool, it can be a LOT of fun. ;)

I also met my former wife out there and was happily married for 13 years.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
Thanks guys, I did enjoy it. I've now been back on land for about 5 days, so I want to try to post some final impressions of my first cruise gig...

So, all in all, I did 4 months basically 10/27/17-3/3/18. The normal contract would have been roughly 6 months, with 2 weeks of rehearsals (4 weeks for the rhythm section/singers). The ship had two different routes that, typically, alternated by the week. So I saw: Miami, Grand Cayman, Mahogany Bay (Honduras), Belize City, Cozumel, the Dominican Republic, Jamaica, Nassau (Bahamas), Half Moon Cay (Bahamas), St. Thomas, and Puerto Rico. I got off the ship in each of these ports at least once, and really enjoyed each one differently.

Without a doubt, the best part of the gig is the ability to save money. Prior to leaving for the ship, I got rid of my apartment (moved everything into a small storage, or my families place) and reduced my car insurance to the minimum. While on the ship, your expenses are minimal: free lodging and free food being the main two things. If you're not a drinker, you can save nearly all of your money. Putting this together with your salary, I'm really surprised there aren't more young post-college students taking a chunk out of their University debt. If I were to nearly back to back contracts (which is possible), I could pay the entirety of my student debt ($35,000) in less than a year and a half.

The strangest part about this gig from my perspective was not doubling at all. Carnivals says they require flute and clarinet chops, but that wasn't present at all on my ship. I played Tenor the entire time, and played flute on a few jazz sets for myself. While there I played 6 nights a week in the main Pop Band (Motown, Disco, 80s), the Horn Trio (Sax, Trumpet, Trombone), the Latin Band (Latin Jazz, Salsa, Merengue, etc), and played on Latin show with the cast (Amor Cubano).

Right now, I'm figuring out when I'll be going out on my next ship. They wanted me to go out immediately, but I turned the offer down so I could have a little time with friends/family, and play some land gigs. Not sure if I'll be going back in two weeks or 4 months at this point.

-Bubba-

41 - 60 of 101 Posts