Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Alright, :) I've just won a Baritone which I believe is a CONN stencil, I don't know if I am going to keep it (I've never played baritones until now) so I am interested also in knowing your evaluation on how much it is worth it.

it says:
PATD DEC8 1914
B
P18XX
L
perfection
made USA
Bruno
NY

Any takes on this, I've had a look at saxpics but found only a small picture of an Conn New Wonder which looks a bit like this

Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
C. Bruno & Son was a wholesale music company for many years. They had a catalog that local music stores put their name on and showed items to customers that could be ordered. This way a small town store could have access to stuff like harp strings, banjo cases, stands and other items they would not stock on a regular basis. I dealt with them in the early 70s and they are probably long gone.
I didn't look at the photo of the Bari but the P in the serial number would make it a Conn but styled like a Pan-American with no rolled tone holes.
It should be a good player.

G

It's a Conn stencil, of course. It has the Mercedes Benz keyguard at the bow. Like Bruce
said, a Pan American. Looks to be in good shape. Nice score !

Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I'm going to pick it up tomorrow, it is going to be my first experience with a baritone, I am a little unsure about playing baritone, but I definitely want to give it a try and if at first you don't succeed......sell the beast on :D
Thanks I've heard before that it was a Conn sold via the Bruno company (someone somewhere said that they still existed until not so long ago) but I am not sure of its vintage and what type of conn would be exactly, so, a Pan American you say, nice to know! Thanks!

Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok I have the baritone. It is ok, but is not in great shape. It needs some attention and I would have to decide whether to give my full attention to it (about 500 dollars worth it at my technician) or not....perhaps I like to consider re-selling it....any Idea of what this would be worth on the market?

Discussion Starter · #14 ·
any idea of the serial numbers? I can't figure it out! By the way my horn is up for sale on the dutch secondhand site " Marktplaats.nl " and I have advertised it on the For sale section here.
Baritone, I see you still have your Adolphe sax haven't you sold it yet?

Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks (of Bedankt....if you still remember how to speak Dutch! :) ), this horn is getting more interesting by the day, actually I did manage to play it and it has a very big sound (but I am not really used to produce the Baritone sound yet ) I thought of selling this horn but I am getting a little doubtful, after all this is a real classic horn but I am not much of a collector, more a wannabe player and was thinking of a more mdern bariton with a reach at least to F and hopefully from low A so this would go towards that.....possibly

Registered
My own bruno...

I actually recently purchased what I believe is a Buescher True-Tone stencil sax through ebay... The engraving reads "Perfection- Made in USA Bruno NY"

I've read this thread regarding the Bruno NY models, and most commonly they were Conn stencil saxes-as you seem to have- but this particular model doesn't have the Mercedes key guard, which I was led to believe ALL Conn stencils had no matter what.

In any case heres the link to the auction with some sweet pics- Link

I couldn't resist, she looks absolutely gorgeous so I am hoping it's a decent stencil- Conn or Buescher... Whaddya think???

Thanks!! :D

Discussion Starter · #19 ·
looks nice but I am sorry to be in no position to help you with a positive identification of your horn, congratulations!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.