Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Alright, :) I've just won a Baritone which I believe is a CONN stencil, I don't know if I am going to keep it (I've never played baritones until now) so I am interested also in knowing your evaluation on how much it is worth it.

it says:
PATD DEC8 1914
B
P18XX
L
perfection
made USA
Bruno
NY

Any takes on this, I've had a look at saxpics but found only a small picture of an Conn New Wonder which looks a bit like this

Distinguished SOTW Member
Looks like a Conn to me. And the serial number layout is similar to that on the older Conns, as well.

Banned
Email the guys at www.usahorn.com about it. They had a Bruno baritone listed for sale on their website for a while. I emailed them about it, and as I recall, they knew a good bit of the history of the Bruno make.

Discussion Starter #4
cheers! thank you guys!

Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
C. Bruno & Son was a wholesale music company for many years. They had a catalog that local music stores put their name on and showed items to customers that could be ordered. This way a small town store could have access to stuff like harp strings, banjo cases, stands and other items they would not stock on a regular basis. I dealt with them in the early 70s and they are probably long gone.
I didn't look at the photo of the Bari but the P in the serial number would make it a Conn but styled like a Pan-American with no rolled tone holes.
It should be a good player.

C

It's a Conn stencil, of course. It has the Mercedes Benz keyguard at the bow. Like Bruce
said, a Pan American. Looks to be in good shape. Nice score !

Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I'm going to pick it up tomorrow, it is going to be my first experience with a baritone, I am a little unsure about playing baritone, but I definitely want to give it a try and if at first you don't succeed......sell the beast on :D
Thanks I've heard before that it was a Conn sold via the Bruno company (someone somewhere said that they still existed until not so long ago) but I am not sure of its vintage and what type of conn would be exactly, so, a Pan American you say, nice to know! Thanks!

Discussion Starter #9
Ok I have the baritone. It is ok, but is not in great shape. It needs some attention and I would have to decide whether to give my full attention to it (about 500 dollars worth it at my technician) or not....perhaps I like to consider re-selling it....any Idea of what this would be worth on the market?

Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Dave dix said:
Bite the bullet and get it repaired as bari's dont often come along cheap
Dave
I' going to sell this, it has been posted between the horns for sale

Discussion Starter #12
I've been updating a picture here, any more info an this horn?

Registered
i used to have a C-melody of this branded sax

Discussion Starter #14
any idea of the serial numbers? I can't figure it out! By the way my horn is up for sale on the dutch secondhand site " Marktplaats.nl " and I have advertised it on the For sale section here.
Baritone, I see you still have your Adolphe sax haven't you sold it yet?

Discussion Starter #15
apparently it looks like a Conn New Wonder which dates even earlier that what I thought......

Discussion Starter #17
Thanks (of Bedankt....if you still remember how to speak Dutch! :) ), this horn is getting more interesting by the day, actually I did manage to play it and it has a very big sound (but I am not really used to produce the Baritone sound yet ) I thought of selling this horn but I am getting a little doubtful, after all this is a real classic horn but I am not much of a collector, more a wannabe player and was thinking of a more mdern bariton with a reach at least to F and hopefully from low A so this would go towards that.....possibly

Registered
My own bruno...

I actually recently purchased what I believe is a Buescher True-Tone stencil sax through ebay... The engraving reads "Perfection- Made in USA Bruno NY"

I've read this thread regarding the Bruno NY models, and most commonly they were Conn stencil saxes-as you seem to have- but this particular model doesn't have the Mercedes key guard, which I was led to believe ALL Conn stencils had no matter what.

In any case heres the link to the auction with some sweet pics- Link

I couldn't resist, she looks absolutely gorgeous so I am hoping it's a decent stencil- Conn or Buescher... Whaddya think???

Thanks!! :D

Discussion Starter #19
looks nice but I am sorry to be in no position to help you with a positive identification of your horn, congratulations!

Distinguished SOTW Member
monicloss said:
I couldn't resist, she looks absolutely gorgeous so I am hoping it's a decent stencil- Conn or Buescher... Whaddya think???

Thanks!! :D
Buescher - you can tell by the bow and neck braces.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts