Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to the forum so I am not sure if I am posting this in the right place but I want to give a big THANK YOU to Bruce Bailey in Miami, FL.

I am a returning player that was looking, no... needing to play again. I played tenor and bari sax for ten years; the tenor I learned to play on was a 1934 Buescher New Aristocrat and unfortunately due to circumstance out of my control (story better saved for another post) I lost it. I kept playing on a borrowed Selmer and eventually bought another sax to replace the N.A. but somehow life got in the way and now it has been about 6 years since the last time I played. I had sold my sax and had nothing to play on so I was looking for a vintage horn to buy and I really wanted my Buescher New Aristocrat back. While realistically I knew I would have a hard time finding it, I was still looking and reached out to a lot of people in the Miami area and online to see if I would have any luck. I found one but unfortunately the seller changed his mind and decided to keep it. Then I met Bruce Bailey.

I spoke to Bruce several times on the phone and it turned out we have a few acquaintances in common and he had a tenor Martin Handcraft Imperial to sell. It wasn't what I was looking for and I had never played a Martin but I figured after our talks on the phone it was worth a try. I had also come across a 1952 Conn Naked Lady that the seller wanted $1,800 (with new pads) but I wasn't convinced so I set a date to meet Bruce and check out the Martin. Besides being a really interesting person, Bruce was great. He was patient, understanding and just plain nice! In Miami, that's really hard to find. He knew I hadn't played in a long time and let me take my time to play and get comfortable. He let me take it home with me to try it out for a few weeks and eventually sold it to me at what I found to be a great price. When I mentioned I wanted private lessons for some refreshers he gave me some recommendations. He even taught me some interesting fun facts I didn't know about the apartment building I live in. Bruce is so full of knowledge (sax and non-sax related) and great stories that when we got in the car my boyfriend told me that he wish he could sit and talk to Bruce for hours.

Overall, a very cool guy and a great transaction that could not have gone any better. I would do business with him again in a heartbeat and would recommend him to anyone without hesitation. So thank you Bruce for your help and for a great horn, I have really enjoyed playing it so far. I just had all 4 wisdom teeth removed on Friday (please disregard any mistakes on my post - still loopy from the meds) so I won't be playing for a few weeks and even though the Martin Handcraft Imperial is not the horn I was originally looking for (btw I am still looking for that Buescher New Aristocrat) I know that I am going to get many years of great playing out of this horn.

Thanks again for a beautiful horn with an amazing sound!

·
Registered
8,530 Posts
I loved living in Miami but then I moved there after living in New York. I still have some good musician friends there. I usually try to stay away from 'civilians'.
There is another good repairman down there that used to get decent horns. I can't remember his name but he's a nice Cuban gent that lives in the Bird/Red Road area and works out of his house.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Miami just might be the nation's capital of rudeness!:soapbox:
...but; there IS the beach:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:
Sadly, I might have to agree with you but thankfully there are still some nice people out here, like Bruce. And yes the beach and the nice weather always helps! :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I loved living in Miami but then I moved there after living in New York. I still have some good musician friends there. I usually try to stay away from 'civilians'.
There is another good repairman down there that used to get decent horns. I can't remember his name but he's a nice Cuban gent that lives in the Bird/Red Road area and works out of his house.
Was his name Manny? On my search I met a tech by the name of Manny off of Bird Road and around 72nd.

·
Registered
8,530 Posts
That may be him. I have his name and number in an old address book somewhere. He used to work on some of the UM guys horns. Talk about some wierd birds. Maybe my opinions about 'jazz academia' rub people the wrong way.
Mr. Bailey probably knows him.

·
VENDOR "Innovation over imitation"
16,625 Posts
miami just might be the nation's capital of rudeness!:soapbox:
...but; there is the beach:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:
I truly believe boca raton people are the rudest down here. They have that "privilidged" attitude. I hate it!

BRUCE is great guy to work with for sure!!!!!! AAA+++

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,358 Posts
Thanks to all!!! Always really nice to meet new people. I have been on the same street for 42 years and find new friends each week. I think the repairman you are thinking about is Juan (Novo?) who makes nice wood flute heads. I heard he moved up north several years ago. The other would be Manny Perez about 72nd and Bird.
Enjoy the Martin, great tenor.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The repairman is (am a newbie so have no idea how good he is - he repaired my son's oboe)

Manuel Perez Woodwind Repairs
4837 SW 75th Ave
Miami, FL 33155
Manuel Perez Woodwind Repairs
4837 SW 75th AveMiami, FL 33155
(305) 261-1060

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
I truly believe boca raton people are the rudest down here. They have that "privilidged" attitude. I hate it!

BRUCE is great guy to work with for sure!!!!!! AAA+++
I agree with you about Boca but i am the nicest not rude at all lol

·
Forum Contributor 2016-17
1,243 Posts
I grew up in West Miami, and know Bird Rd quite well. Perhaps next time I'm there I could stop by?

It's funny, everyone complains about how rude folks are there, but as far as I can tell it's about the same as any big city. I think Miami's the center of the galaxy, and if you can't have fun there then you don't know how to have fun!

Traffic patterns there are rather chaotic, though.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I’m bumping this thread to remind people—and to let those who don’t already know l—that Bruce is one of the best in the business. All of my dealings with him have been letter-perfect. He’s also a great guy who does everything he can to help. Kudos!

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
I just completed a transaction with Bruce, and echo the comments above. I couldn't imagine a better buying experience.

I was in the market for a flute and am happy with my purchase from him. He also sent me a selection of heads to try for a week. It took me some time to get used to the heads, so he let me have the flute for a few more weeks until I was able to make up my mind.

Also, the zippers on the flute case cover broke as it was a tight fit, so Bruce sent me a replacement case no charge. So all in all, it was a great experience. Thanks Bruce!

·
Registered
7,331 Posts
I'll chime in with praise for the transaction I recently completed with Bruce (a C soprano). Horn was a bit better than he described it, no complaints at all. Very happy and would do business again with him in a heartbeat.

Hey Bruce, I fixed the very sharp low Bb; I put a strip (1/2" wide) of 1/4" thick leather around the bell just inside the opening. This flattens low Bb to just where it needs to be, but doesn't affect low B and above. I did have to tweak the peg on my sax stand some.

I recently had a hand injury and haven't been able to play sax for two months and probably won't be back to playing for another month, at which time the wee soprano is going to get some serious exercise in the Dixie/Trad field (we're usually missing cornet, which I can play pretty effectively on soprano). Wish me luck.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts