Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to resurrect a really beat up Indiana by Martin tenor. Pulling the keys off today I discovered a couple of real problems. The Eb / low C rod has half of the screw slot broken off and the side Bb has the threaded end broken off in its post. Is there a way to coax the broken end out of the post?
There is a guy selling parts on Ebay but I might as well buy another horn and part this one out at his prices. Hoping that someone here might know someone who parts out horns that doesn't charge a small fortune.

Brown Wood Amber Rectangle Wood stain

·
Premium Member
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good News! I used a small grinder tip in my rotary tool and was able to get it to back out enough to grab onto it with needle nose pliers so it wasn't frozen. Now for the bad news. I don't have a rod the correct diameter with the same thread to replace it. I swiped one out of a Conn C Mel and the thread works but it is a bit short and only .089" dia. and the Martin uses .095" diameter rod with a turned down threaded end. Since it is the side Bb it is so long that any smaller rod lets it wobble around that I guess for now I will use a hinge screw from one of the high keys that is the same length and use the smaller Conn for it. It is rare indeed for me to get up to one of those high keys and when I do it sounds like someone stepped on a cat's tail. In the meantime I'll keep my eyes out for someone with Martin tenor parts.

Fluid Gas Wood Plumbing fitting Auto part
Office supplies Wood Metal Audio equipment Font
Musical instrument Automotive exhaust Auto part Wind instrument Metal

·
Premium Member
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Go ahead and flame me. I went through my die set and found a micro die that seemed to work with one of the Martin hinge rods. Those actually measure 3/32" and I just happen to have some welding rod of that size. So I threaded the end of it. It isn't as pretty as the Martin on the threaded end but it screws in using only my fingers. I believe this will work fine for the side Bb key once I cut it to length and cut in a slot for my screwdriver.
Road surface Garden tool Asphalt Wood Gas
Water Window Wood Automotive exterior Road surface

·
Premium Member
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I similarly broke a rod and decided to make some of my own last year. It's neither too expensive nor too hard to do yourself, and it may be worthwhile if you plan to work on horns in the future. Here's my post, on which I got a lot of good technical advice and pointers from other forum members (most notably @PigSquealer and @saxoclese):

Your post is what jogged my memory that there were micro dies in my tap and die drawer. These were in a used set that I bought and I have never ever used them before. I don't even have a handle so I clamped it in the vise and turned the rod with Vice Grips.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts