Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all,

i'm a beginner, so i hope i can explain this correctly. i just picked up a 50's king cleveland tenor, and it seems to be missing the part of the lever that extends from the body to the octave mechanism on the neck. is this a complicated repair? my funds are quite limited at the moment, so just trying to get an idea of what is involved before i take it in. thanks in advance.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
34,733 Posts
You need to talk to your local repair person. If they have a part that'll fit, you're golden. If they have to fabricate something, it may cost more. How well it is broken is yet another variable and I don't see any pictures.

Don't be afraid to just ask for an estimate. It's not unusual.

·
Forum Contributor 2007-2012, Distinguished SOTW Te
3,328 Posts
It completely depends on what actually needs done. What you see may be the entirety of the problem or more likely a symptom of something larger (like the original hit that cause that piece to break off). If you don't have a repairman, now is an excellent time to find one. Get some recommendations, go to a few and get estimates and judge for yourself who you are most comfortable with.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
luckily, i found the missing piece that had broken off buried in the fake fur lining of the case. took it to usa horn where it is going to be resoldered on.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
34,733 Posts
Another happy ending!

Make sure to use the end plug in the tenon when putting the horn in its case. It's there to protect against such accidents.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts