Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
In my 20+ of playing, I've exclusively used plastic hooks on the few neck straps I owned. I don't like the feel of metal on metal eating up the strap hook on my saxes over time.

In my first years I used BG straps but for the past decade I've been very happy with a few of Just Joe's I have of different lengths for different horns. Never had an issue with either of them.

More recently I bought one of these straps that hang over the shoulders to relieve neck strain for home practice. I've been using it for a few months only at home till last week the hook *snapped* and I caught my Mark VI in the air!

Asking Joe about this, he re-assured me his hooks are of highest quality, fiberglass reinforced. No comparison to this s%&t pictured here. Given how long I've had used them for, I trust Joe's are very robust.

My advice: for neck straps (as well as sax stands by the way) stick with known brands with a good reputation (or buy metal hooks)! These cheap plastic hooks that are out there by the millions on so many no-brand straps sold on Amazon/eFlay are not worth the apparent savings.

IMG_3044.jpg

Registered
I鈥檝e used a Ray Hyman for years. I still have the original that came with my Mark VI. Never a broken hook or discomfort.
That hook in the photo has three different places it could鈥檝e gone wrong.
The new metal hooked complicated neckstraps use some odd decorative pot metal stuff that doesn鈥檛 look too durable.
There鈥檚 that video of the guy who does all the slap tonguing with one of those new straps breaking. The horn takes a nice bounce when it hits the floor.

SOTW Administrator
The hook broke on my hyman strap after about five years. Things fail. Nothing's perfect.

Don't trust a neckstrap completely. Always hold the horn.

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
Don't trust a neckstrap completely. Always hold the horn.
Sure, that鈥檚 always true, and the reason my tenor did not hit the floor when this hook failed. But that was a very scary moment!
You can chose to walk on the middle of the freeway or on the sidewalk. Odds of a accident happening are somewhat under your control.

Registered
Alto sax, Tenor sax, Clarinet
I like Just Joe鈥檚 old metal hook with the spring lock. I apply shrink tubing over the hook and have seen no wear on the horn鈥檚 support ring. I wish Joe would offer this option again, as I do not like the open ended J metal hook. The J hook version keeps falling off my horn when I place it in the stand.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts