Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I'm currently working on my Buescher Bari - It a bit of a Franken Horn - body and keywork from 1911 (by the serial number - including a pearl G#) but with Snap in Pads but without Norton Springs and with Aristocrat Art Deco engraving.
When tightening the screw on a leaf spring half the screw head snapped off - and I was being careful - it is after all 100 or so years old. I can still remove the screw easily.

Ferees sell 0-80 screws for Buescher/Bundy leaf springs are these likely to fit? don't have a thread guage for anything that small.

Thanks for any advice

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, now that I know they are a standard size I'll look locally again.

Yes, I am used to ordering from the US. I usually get pads and other supplies from Music Medic and wait until I have a bunch of stuff to order to make the postage cost (and delay) worthwhile.

I'm slowly getting a collection of repair supplies together, springs, felt bumpers etc. I always order more than I need - for next time but I don't do enough to make buying up big cost effective. Just a hobby at present.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks ptung,
Yes I can use a tap and die. I have 1-56 and 3-56 - I've been collecting them as needed. I'm getting quite used to sleeving and re-tapping posts and making new hinge rods. It would just be easier to find the right screw.
The Bari is slowly coming together but some times its one step forward and two (or 3) back....I reckon I've had about half the posts off to take out the dents where they have been pushed into the body. The crook has been apart and I've had to cut out some red rot that was all the way through - looked like Swiss cheese with the leak light in. Bell and bow will go back on once I have leveled the tone holes then I'll be in the home stretch.
Couple more weeks.
This is the horn in question: https://forum.saxontheweb.net/showt...anyone-know-about-these&p=3617930#post3617930

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks all,
Great advice as always. I don't mind the extra information about tapping techniques - not necessary this time but there is bound to be a next time isn't there.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quick update, found a mob in Melbourne called Micro Fasteners who were very helpful. They sent me 2 packs of 0-80 screws (25 per pack), one a brass finish one plain steel. I needed to cut it shorter because they only stocked the one length but now a perfect fit. Job done.

Thanks one and all. ;-)

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I have found a set of hss taps and dies locally on ebay that starts at 0-80 and goes up (6 sizes) and contains taper and bottom taps. I plan to order it this week.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Thanks Gardon & turf3.

To enjoy the flavour of life, take big bites.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Well, for better or worse I bought the $40 no name set. Has 9 imperial sizes of taps and dies starting at 0-90, taper and bottom taps in each size. I don't do a lot so didn't want to spend a lot on single taps for occasional use. I already have a couple of decent ones (from music medic I think) in 1-56 and 3-56 with dies that I have been using for hinge rods.

To enjoy the flavour of life, take big bites.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts