Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Just wondering if anyone knows the history of an old Britone alto sax mpc that was made in England. It is unusal that it has an odd configuration on the inside of the barrel. I can only describe it as a kind of V cut. (rather than the usual curve).

alansaxman

·
Registered
77 Posts
Britone Alto Sax MPC

Hi Alansaxman,
The Britone was made around the 60's by ROC. The other model, called the Fultone had a normal tone chamber.
The Britone was still in production in 1980/81. I have played on a 4* which was a good blower and could be coaxed into giving an Earl Bostic simulation, with it's V shaped baffle. I think there is an affinity with the Brilhart Tonalin design.
:razz: I also own and use the clarinet version. This has the same baffle and a bright singing quality. Unfortunately, some one had a go at refacing it. This left me with no choice but to do the same. As I already had about 45 years practice, I bought the gauges and took it seriously. :cool: I've had lots of success with refacing vintage mouthpieces since, not that I am suggesting you should do anything to yours.
NOT recommended for beginners :( Refacing can seriously damage your mouthpieces. But, how else does one learn ?
If you state the MPC # I can give you the tip opening.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Eddie

Many thanks for taking the time to reply to my question :)

It is a 4*. I can't remember where it came from originally. It must have come with a sax I bought quite a long time ago. I sold it on eBay recently and the chap that bought it lives in the states. He asked me if I knew anything about it. I wasn't able to shed any light on the subject at all. So I really appreciate your help.

Kindest regards

Alan

·
Registered
90 Posts
I have a Britone and a Fultone for tenor. Played the Britone a lot in the 60s. The loudest, most powerful beast I've ever encountered.

In a previous discussion on this forum some years ago, one expert said that because of the baffle design it would be impossible to control or play in tune.

Someday I must get it out and decide on that for myself.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I have a Britone and a Fultone for tenor. Played the Britone a lot in the 60s. The loudest, most powerful beast I've ever encountered.

In a previous discussion on this forum some years ago, one expert said that because of the baffle design it would be impossible to control or play in tune.

Someday I must get it out and decide on that for myself.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Britone Alto Sax Mpc

Alansaxman,
Saw your ROC Britone on E-bay and was sorely tempted to bid but I am after bigger darker fatter sound ( Bruce Turner ) on my Beuscher Aristocrat which I got on Ebay for only £98.
Your 4* is 74 tip 812 length. The same as an Brilhart Tonalin #4 or close to an Otto Link 6
The clarinet version has a slight rollover at the tip with a concave section before the grooved baffle which starts well back from the tip, this is followed by narrowing chamber walls. Quite complex and patented.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
I bought several new old stock Britones on eBay recently. The alto ones were quite good IIRC, but the tenor looked out of proportion and di not play well. They have a really wierd shaped baffle, but despite this, I found they played with quite a sweet tone. They were quite well made. I was never going to use them and I don't 'collect' mouthpieces so I sold them on

1 - 7 of 7 Posts