Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!
I got a 68xxx «British» mark vi alto (It has the «London stamp» on it») and have some questions related to it.
(I know that all the mark vi’s were manufactured in France.)

Did the mark vi’s for the british market got assembled, laquered and engraved in the UK, or was all of this done at the factory in France?

I’ve also read that that some the VI’s were prepared for the canadian market, but I haven’t found any further information about this. Are there any cosmetic differenses between saxophones for the british and canadian market, or are they the «same» type of horns?

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hi! Sorry nobody replied to your post until now! Sometimes threads get buried for inexplicable reasons. The VI's for the British market to the best of my knowledge were engraved and lacquered in a factory in London but the bodies were stamped at factories in France, similar to the situation in Elkhart.

Also, as far as I can tell the horns prepared in Elkhart were meant for both the American and Canadian market. The old SBA's were marked with "Sole Agents: British Empire ex. Canada" if I remember correctly, leading me to believe that the American horns were also distributed in Canada. That would mean that 'Canadian' horns have US engravings.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Hi! Sorry nobody replied to your post until now! Sometimes threads get buried for inexplicable reasons. The VI's for the British market to the best of my knowledge were engraved and lacquered in a factory in London but the bodies were stamped at factories in France, similar to the situation in Elkhart.

Also, as far as I can tell the horns prepared in Elkhart were meant for both the American and Canadian market. The old SBA's were marked with "Sole Agents: British Empire ex. Canada" if I remember correctly, leading me to believe that the American horns were also distributed in Canada. That would mean that 'Canadian' horns have US engravings.
I beg to disagree.
Postwar UK-Market Selmers were engraved in France and lacquered in England up to the early 1960s, after which they were both engraved and lacquered in France.
Canadian-Market Selmers were sold through Selmer US, but shipped directly from France, so Canadian-Market Selmers have French engraving.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I beg to disagree.
Postwar UK-Market Selmers were engraved in France and lacquered in England up to the early 1960s, after which they were both engraved and lacquered in France.
Canadian-Market Selmers were sold through Selmer US, but shipped directly from France, so Canadian-Market Selmers have French engraving.
Interesting! My bad! I was mostly basing my post off of the stamping of those old SBA's.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts