Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Contributor 2010
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, the rollers are a nice touch! I am considering picking one up. One concern I have is the headjoint. I have heard so many bad things about Gemeinhardt headjoints. The Brio c flutes have a JH designed by Dana Sheridan but not the altos...

·
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Also, OboeGuy, the overall build quality was good? Thx for any more thoughts.

·
Registered
350 Posts
The build quality seemed really nice, but it's also not my flute, it was a friend in the flute choir. Tone and volume were great when I played it.

Also, I played on a Gemmy earlier this year for a few weeks until I got my DiZhao. It wasn't a bad flute at all, it was the solid silver model with plated keys. The headjoint seemed fine to me, and that's after playing an Altus.

Another friend, who borrowed the alto for a few weeks said she's definitely looking into getting one. She's an Ithaca graduate, plays on a Miyazawa. She loved playing it. I'll ask him again about it though, just to make sure!

·
Distinguished SOTW member
4,673 Posts
Thanks for the info OboeGuy.

I'm itching for an alto and I've been looking at the Pearl 201 and the deMedici model, but now I have another option to consider.

·
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, OboeGuy, absolutely. Any feedback from your friend would be greatly appreciated.

Like Daigle65, I have been looking at the Pearl and deMedici altos. I have heard raves about the diMedici especially but, boy, is it pricey!

·
Registered
216 Posts
It is my opinion, as well as that of several of my professional flutist friends, that currently the best value in the alto flute market is the Di Zhao. I have a Sankyo, which is a killer instrument, and I can quite honestly say that the Di Zhao plays nearly as well, for about $6,000 less.

·
Distinguished SOTW member
4,673 Posts
$1489 for an alto, $2119 for a bass, very interesting.

Where can you try them out?

·
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Update:

I ended up getting a Brio. All-plated model with straight HJ. Very nice! I have only play-tested a few altos so I don't have much to compare it to. But once I figured out to roll the headjoint out to get my lip off the embouchure hole, I get a big tone in all registers. Sounds great, easy to play, nice ergos. Build quality looks good.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,933 Posts
I am very pleased with my old Armstrong Alto and actually prefer it an Altus I had on trial...
Which one of those is a Brio?

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
My jupiter dimedici alto flute is almost identical to the Altus 819 series except its 5300 compared to 1600 i paid for mine . Even Dave Kessler admitted that their was no huge difference

1 - 15 of 15 Posts