Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a Brilhart 'hard rubber' tenor mouthpiece that has a 6 digit serial number. The number is something like this: 060671. Does that mean that it was made on June 6, 1971? Is it only the 6 digit pieces that have this code? What about the 4 and 5 digit pieces?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Ben

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2007
1,247 Posts
Selmer bought Brilhart Company in 1966. From primo 1967 Selmer used the manufacturing date as "serial number". It seems they gave it up by the end of June 1967 after which the Brilhart pieces had no serial numbers. (Possible exception: The metal Level Air pieces. I have not monitored these). Before that, the serial numbers were "normal" progressive numbers.
You should also know that Brilhart ran parallel serial numbers for at least tenor, alto, Ebolin, Tonalin, Hard Rubber. Further, they started all over from scratch with the numbers when they moved to Carlsbad California in 1954. (I hope to publish a summary of my findings on the internet within a few months.)
Specifically about yours: Are you sure it ends with 71 ? All other pieces with a "date-serial" have ended in 67.
In any case, I am very interested in seeing pictures of the serial number, as well as the tip opening number. Please send to my email [email protected]
P.S. You can download my spreadsheets with info about more than 1000 Brillys with serial numbers here: www.saxmundstykker.dk

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
maybe that last 1 is not a number... then you have 06067 ...well,that doesnt make sense either.....

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Selmer bought Brilhart Company in 1966. From primo 1967 Selmer used the manufacturing date as "serial number". It seems they gave it up by the end of June 1967 after which the Brilhart pieces had no serial numbers. (Possible exception: The metal Level Air pieces. I have not monitored these). Before that, the serial numbers were "normal" progressive numbers.
You should also know that Brilhart ran parallel serial numbers for at least tenor, alto, Ebolin, Tonalin, Hard Rubber. Further, they started all over from scratch with the numbers when they moved to Carlsbad California in 1954. (I hope to publish a summary of my findings on the internet within a few months.)
Specifically about yours: Are you sure it ends with 71 ? All other pieces with a "date-serial" have ended in 67.
In any case, I am very interested in seeing pictures of the serial number, as well as the tip opening number. Please send to my email [email protected]
P.S. You can download my spreadsheets with info about more than 1000 Brillys with serial numbers here: www.saxmundstykker.dk
Thank you. In fact, the serial number is 210473, which might make its birthday today!

I'll email you the photos tomorrow.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,035 Posts
Brilhart would have put the month then day then year since it was a US company. I suspect it was a non-Selmer model.

·
1,247 Posts
bruce bailey is right. It's an ordinary serial number. I just made room for it in the spreadsheet (between Ebolin Special alto 210749 and a Tonalin Personaline for tenor 210987)
BTW, the highest serial for HR tenor I have is 229176 so Ben's piece most likely is from 1964 - 1966.
I still look forward to the pictures, thank you.

·
1,247 Posts
I have seen HR Brilharts without serial numbers, including Personalines, so they were also manufactured after June 1967, but no way to know how long after.
I wonder whether there are any records at Selmer USA ??

·
Registered
15 Posts
So I have been searching for info about a bari piece I just obtained. It's a plastic Ebolin, no Great Neck stamp, '3' facing on back with serial 173756. Trying to date it and am more confused than enlightened. How does one 'read' the serial numbers? Thanks. Peace.

·
1,247 Posts
Your piece is likely from the Carlsbad period, i.e. 1954 - 1966. I am collecting info on brillys with serial numbers in an attempt to make it possible to date them. I am still not there, but can say so much that Brilhart started all over with the serial numbers when they moved to Carlsbad, The highest serial number I have seen from that period is 239557. Assuming constant productivity during these 12 years,gives 20000 mouthpieces per annum. This would place your mouthpiece in the 9th year, i.e. 1962.
NB: This is a very heavy approximisation because there were parallel serial numbers for the Ebolins, the Tonalins, the tenors and the altos. I don't believe they had a separate line for baris because it is unlikely that they could sell so many baris. I still don't know whether the baris shared serial numbers with the tenors or maybe the clarinets. In any case, it is a safe bet that your mouthpiece is from the first half of the 60's.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
I am collecting info on brillys with serial numbers in an attempt to make it possible to date them.
I have a Brilhart Personaline Tonalin with the serial 130156 (not a Great Neck, NY) and an Ebolin 4 Great Neck, NY with the serial 91324. Can you estimate the years for these by any chance?

Thanks, just curious :)

·
1,247 Posts
I believe that the Personalines serial numbers were NOT started over when they moved to Carlsbad. The highest # I have seen is 239787 for alto Tonalin Personaline. The crucial question is when they were introduced. I have seen an ad from 1951 stating that Personalines were new. So let's guess they were made with serial numbers from 1950 to 1966. Yours has a number around the middle, which makes around 1960 a safe guess. The Great Neck is easier. 108xxx is the highest # seen for Ebolin, alto, marked Gt. Nck. With the usual assumptions it would have been made 1951 - 1952.
P.S. What is the tip opening on your Personaline ? I would like to put it into my spreadsheets. (I already have your Gt. Nck. Ebolin ;-))

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Thanks for the dates - that's great to know.
10mfan said my Personaline L5 measures 0.072, and it's original.
Glad to hear you already know about my Ebolin GNNY!! :)

·
1,247 Posts
So a hr personaline marked 13362 would be somewhere in the earl 50's?
Yes. Assuming constant production over the years. It is very early. I assume that Personaline is written slant-wise and Brilhart i written on the shank ?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Sax Historian
7,110 Posts

·
1,247 Posts
There's at least 1 other one with CSB engraved:

http://www.saxquest.com/forumThreadView.asp?ForumUID=2&ThreadUID=5682

My uneducated guess would be that the B stands for Brillhart.
It is not very likely, since his intials were ARB for Arnold Ross Brilhart.
The saxquest has a s/n of 169612 so rather close to 176756 of the one above.
There is a third one out there, this one without serial number:
http://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthread.php?35494-Brilhart-Tonalin-(Alto)-w-C.S.B.-Facing

1 - 20 of 27 Posts