Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello everybody,
So for my birthday last year my dad decided i could get a pair of mouthpieces. I got a Brilhart tonaline and a brilhart eboline for 50 a piece. The tonline is the one that i like to play most but i was just wondering why this wont speak very well. On inspection i noticed 3 nicks that werent in the picture so i didnt really know what to do and i called the guy up but he would not respond to my texts, emails, and calls. So this is my piece now. the tonaline has 2 nicks on each side of the tip. i dont quite know how these effect the tone and response of the mouthpiece. When it wants to play it just sings but when it dosnt... not so much. The other one is on the shank of the mouthpiece, i have no clue if this effects the mouthpiece either. Attacted are 7 pictures of my mouthpiece so i would be very very appriciated if someone could help me out with this and understand the situation a little more. Thank you for all responses.

Best wishes,
-Dylan

View attachment 45628 View attachment 45629 View attachment 45630 View attachment 45631 View attachment 45632

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,589 Posts
The chip on the shank doesn't matter. The other one will affect playing and can be repaired/refaced - I think. Contact 'Mojobari' via this site and get a professional opinion. 3* is a pretty close facing - maybe it will have to be a little more open with a shorter facing to do the work and save the original table - that could be interesting. Are they both 3*? I've heard of mixing up epoxy to the right color and fixing chips on these like the one on the shank and/or putting a brass band on it. Somebody like Mojo who works on mouthpieces all the time could best help you on these two.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks, there is only one mouthpiece up there, my tonaline but yes both the tonaline and eboline are 3*. the problem is i dont want it refaced or opened up because i like the tip opening on it already. maybe a little bit if needed to actually fix the tip. The shank if absolutely necessary to the mouthpiece but otherwise no. And i dont have a ton of money because i am a student. and by the way:
tonaline- ivory
tonalite- clear
eboline- black

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician.
1,804 Posts
the problem is i dont want it refaced or opened up because i like the tip opening on it already. maybe a little bit if needed to actually fix the tip.
I would expect the response to be compromised by the chips at the tip. Is the piece chirpy at all?

A competent refacer can clean up the tip without drastically opening the piece. But to get those chips out, the tip will need to be opened, for sure.

If you need to keep the exact same opening, the refacer can sand the table to close the tip opening back to spec and construct the rest of the facing from that. This all requires measuring tools and skill; not a DIY project, for sure.

If that were my piece, I'd start by measuring the original facing for future reference. Then I'd clean up the tip, resulting in a more open mouthpiece. Maybe at that point I'd be happy with it. If, OTOH, it ended up too open, I would then close the opening by adjusting the table and facing. You don't have to do the tip repair and close the opening at the same time.

The shank if absolutely necessary to the mouthpiece but otherwise no.
From the pics, it seems that the shank isn't cracked. Filling it or banding it wouldn't be necessary as long as it doesn't crack.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Its not that I would care wether its open I just have never played on anything more than .73 on a mouthpiece and I don't know how difficult that would be switching to a more open mouthpiece. Uhm ill get back to you in about an hour or so about the chirping cuz I've never noticed that ill try to push it and see what happens. Otherwise I dosnt chirp normally. But the only thing that is really wanna do is make it more bright but that would be it, other than the tip. And yes you are correct its not cracked on the shank just wanted to put that in to be safe for reference.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts