Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I am a highschool saxophone player, and I just bought a Buescher 1927 True Tone, and the guy who I sent it to to get some work done threw in the above "vintage?" mouthpiece to go with it for $20 dollars. I've played on it and it sound kinda nice and its in great shape. I have only found one other post about it but they didnt include much information on the mouthpiece. I guess my question is does anyone have any info on this mouthpiece? quality? what kind of music its best for? value? Any help would be appreciated.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,076 Posts
Good quality but ver closed tip so you will need a stiff reed. Don't try to open it up or it could be ruined.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks! what do you mean open up? also what kind of music is it made for? Also the number on it says 4 if that means anything.

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
NjWood97, read this article about the different parts of a mouthpiece: http://www.theowanne.com/knowledge/mouthpiece-glossary

What bruce was referring to was the tip opening. Jazz players usually prefer more open tips then classical players. Open tips cause the reed tip to travel more and hit harder on the mouthpiece, which causes a more rich sound (more harmonics). They also allow you to more easily 'bend' the intonation and sound as you pinch the reed more or less. All good characteristics for jazz. More closed pieces need harder reeds and produce a more pure sound (more sinusoidal, less harmonics), hence better suited for classical playing.

There are professionals called refacers that are experts in opening mouthpieces. But that is a tricky business because the relationship between reed and baffle is very critical to the sound characteristics. When you open a tip you are increasing that distance, and the result could be a very different mouthpiece sound. Browse this website above. Theo is one of the several refacing masters. He has lots of interesting info on his website.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Thanks. Are they jazz or concert mouthpieces?
Depending on the sound your going for they can be used for both. I personally use mine for both. Charlie Parker played a Tonalin for a bit.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I use my alto Great Neck for jazz. The tip was really messed up on mine so I had my friend fix it, now it plays great with a 3 ZZ. It's my favorite piece that I own.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I love Tonalins and Ebolins for straight ahead Jazz on alto. I've had mine refaced to fix short facings or small tips, which can get expensive though worth it (to me) for that classic sound.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Another thing you have to remember with vintage Brilharts, is that the tip numbers can be all over the place. Some 3/3*s can measure as large as 6s or 7's, but others measure as 3's.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts