Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone here use a Brilhart Tonalin bari piece? I use them for alto and tenor and really like them....

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
Did they actually make these? Just asking- I've seen a lot of alto & tenor Tonalins but I don't ever remember seeing a bari sax version?

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
My understanding is that they made alto, tenor and baritone versions but not soprano.... Also, Buescher included a "Buescher TruTone" branded version of the Brilharts with some of their "Big B" altos and tenors in '40s. I don't have a Big B baritone, so can't speak to whether they also included them with the baris. The Buescher Brilhart version is a pale white piece and does't have the black bite plate. Otherwise it appears to be exactly the same as the Brilhart Tonalin Great Neck pieces (however no serial number and no Brilhart branding).

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
I have one of the Buescher branded tenor pieces exactly as you describe it- it came with a 1950 Aristocrat I bought several years ago. I tried it for about 5 minutes when I first got the horn but it has a very small tip opening. I just never remember seeing an ad for or picture of a Tonalin bari (or soprano now that you mention it) mouthpiece. They must be very rare. The advertisement about half-way down on this page at Theo Wanne's site;

http://www.theowanne.com/mouthpieces101/Brilhart.php

Shows no listing of a bari or soprano version. Ebolin and Personaline Model R mouthpieces are listed for bari but no Tonalin.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
KeithL,

What sort of bike do you ride, I can't tell from the thumbnail? I have a BMW R1200RT, great for Tassie's winding roads.

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
It's a '98 Triumph Trophy 1200 - that I use for motorcycle touring. I also have a 2002 Triumph Bonneville America that I've done some touring on but mostly I use for commuting and day rides. If you are familiar with BMW's the Trophy feels a lot like a K1200 but not quite as refined since it's chain driven.

·
Forum Contributor 2015-2017
1,213 Posts
The brilhart sound good but lack the presence brighter mouthpiece have. A couple years ago I have one, a brilhart special that JVW open it for me at .100, it was playing full and very neutral but it was lacking bite. I send it to mojo bari to adding a wedge. after that it cut much more and was a very versatile piece for cheap even with refacing ($55 for the refacing if I remember, and the piece was give me for free). I sold it to a guy starting at the bari (a chu) as an easy, well made and good sounding bari mouthpice. work well on older bari like the Conn.

·
Registered
542 Posts
I just got a bari and the mouthpiece in the case was a brilhart tonalin. There are no other markings on it. I haven't been able to figure out where the guy bought it, or anything about it really. But obviously they were somewhere.

·
Registered
542 Posts
If I can ever figure out how to put pictures on here, maybe I can put some up on the piece to see what the heck it actually is.

·
Registered
542 Posts
UPDATE and correction: Ok so I think I figure out what this piece actually is. It is labeled Brilhart and Tonalin. In very small print there is also the word "special". I believe it is a very much stock type piece. Sorry for the confusion.

P.S. After rereading all the posts it sounds like the piece I have is the same as the on mentioned above by avan. And although it is currently the only bari mouthpiece I have I might be convinced to sell it.

·
Registered
542 Posts
bruce ... I stand yet again corrected. The mouthpiece is all black and the writing on it is gold. Higher up it has Brilhart and immediately beneath that in small print special and the lower down in larger print Ebolin. Sorry I mixed it up as I was reading the posts above when I got typing after reading the posts above. It is in fact a BRILHART special EBOLIN.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Sax Historian
7,110 Posts
Tonalin bari pieces exist but they're very rare.

IIRC, Paul Coats of Runyon Mpcs says they made the white Buescher pieces. However, there are black rubber Buescher pieces that use a Brilhart blank.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have a Brilhart Tonalin 3* (Serial Number 19830) in my tenor. Its sound is wonderful and a very fine pitch.
I play with an Otto Link, but Brilhart is my favorite.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,035 Posts
They do have a smooth sound. I have a Tonalin alto that is as new in a 4* and should use it sometime. Just sits here!

·
Registered
166 Posts
I played a 3* Brilhart Tonalin bari piece through high school. It is the 2nd best mouthpiece I've ever played (the first a durga I got on trial). It loved every reed I used on it (even plastic). I had to use a galvanized hose clamp around the shank to keep an immense crack from spreading any farther into the chamber.

·
Registered
692 Posts
The brilhart sound good but lack the presence brighter mouthpiece have.... work well on older bari like the Conn.
I guess this is a matter of personal taste, I'm playing a Brilhart Ebolin Special refaced by MOJO to .118" on my Mk.VI bari (187xxx, low A) and it works great! Adding some sort of baffle will obviously give more bite to the sound if that is what you're looking for (I considered doing that as well). For me reeds actually make a huge difference. Using synthetic reeds like Bari, Legere or Fibracell completely changes the sound and gives more volume and 'cut'

·
Forum Contributor 2015-2017
1,213 Posts
I remember that it was sounding very good as is and this is why I have send it to JVW for open it. In the long run, I always try to push the air stream for a more bitting sound this is why the wedge made by Mojo. I try many time the fibracell, but it don't work for me. The Brilhart special are the same as the black one: white toothplate; white writting; etc. It was intended as a student mouthpiece with only one size of facing.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I just played my ongoing New Years gig with the Westfield (NJ) Symphony and Chad Smith, one of the top reed 5 players on Broadway these days was playing an ivory Tonalin on bari, which I asked him about. He said it was fairly close, and that in the recent Broadway revival of "Follies", all 5 sax players (full size orchestra, rare on Broadway these days) were using Tonalins. Interesting, and Chad sounded great on his.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts