Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys

I have a Brilhart Tonalin Tenor mouthpiece that I am trying to find something out about

Its the normal white / cream colour with a black bite plate

I've read lots of stuff about the serial number being the manufacture date but this serial number is 81865--I suppose that could mean 1965 but what about the 818

Its marked 3 rather than 3* which I believe means it has a long lay the * meaning a short lay

Its not a Great Neck as it doesnt have that stamped on the shank, just the word Tonalin

If I want to play soft and smooth its simply amazing with either La Voz or Vandoren Green Box reeds, the bottom end is easy to play and sounds like velvet --French File dont seem to work that well

Is there a site I can go to to find anything about this mouthpiece--looked at Theo's but there is no details of serial numbers that I can see

Tx

Phil

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,766 Posts
That is a Carlsbad California era Brilhart. I've got several for alto. I find them to be quite good and rather "reed friendly". I've got a few Great Neck era Brilharts as well. I would think that a #3 is a bit too closed. You could have it opened up to a 5, but if it works for you, don't bother. Vandoren V16 seem to work for me, but as I said, Brilharts are reed friendly. If you find it difficult to get a good reed that allows full control over the range of the horn, chances are that the facing is not good.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2007
1,247 Posts
Brilhart serial number = production date was initiated by Selmer in January 1967 after they took over the company in summer 1966. After appr. half a year they stopped with serial numbers. Only metal Level Air'es were continued with the dates.
I am accumulating info on numbered brillys, mostly from ebay. You can download my Excel workbook here: www.saxmundstykker.dk and draw your own conclusions.
So far, I am convinced that they ran parallel serial numbers for Ebolin tenor, Tonalin tenor, Ebolin alto, Tonalin alto, and several others. Most important, they started all over when they moved to Carlsbad in 1954. (NOT with the personalines, apparently). Your mouthpiece MAY be from Great Neck even if it is not stamped so, IF it has the large font described by Theo and which I call American Typewriter ("AT" in my spreadsheets).
Anyway, Brilhart pieces can be fabulous. And I love my early Tonalin Streamline for tenor.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts