Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's an older (around serial# 100k) 3. It plays much more freely and open than I ever would have expected from a 3, but in order for it to be in tune it has to be way out on the neck. Much too far in my opinion.
I'm certain that I'm not simply playing with too tight and forcing the pitch up. In fact, I'm appreciating how well it plays with an especially relaxed embrouchure. Also, every other mouthpiece I have is normal as far as placement on the cork goes.

Is this a just peculiarity of the older tonalins?
Can this be corrected?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,877 Posts
I really haven't noticed too much trouble . I put my Tonalin on the neck at the same place that I've put other mpcs. I know that they aren't a large chamber so depending on the horn it could be a factor.

I've used Tonalins on my Chu berry with good success, tuning/ intonation has been OK when checking some recordings although I felt at times I had too work to stay in tune on a few notes.

I did recently switch to a HR Saxscape that has given me better tuning .

I played the Tonalins a while and they are nice. They aren't real loud but they sing.They have a smooth round sound . I always thought they reminded me of a Joe Henderson vs a Dexter tone but that's all accomplished conceptually if you dig what I'm saying.

I sound the same on everthing but I will say the Tonalin worked well on my Chu Berry

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
1,278 Posts
The Brilharts play a quarter tone sharp for me on the 10M. The Ebolins and Tonalin I have look more like a small chamber to me. I love the feel and tone, but I couldn't get the sax to play in tune.

·
1,877 Posts
Art,

the 10 M is much more finicky with mpcs. I agree I had one. Chu is better for a Tonalin. It could be the horn match up that matters most. Brilharts are Square med chambers

·
Distinguished SOTW Member.
4,697 Posts
A Personaline might be a better choice w/ its Medium-sized round chamber .

Still has that nice focused sound on the bottom, but tunes easier throughout
the range.

·
3,106 Posts
get the neck extended and use any mpc you like. i did this to my 10m .love it! you should hear this baby scream with a high baff mpc!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts