Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,835 Posts
They still make them, but note the price. They're sold as a cheap student mouthpiece these days. Of course, I think Arnold Brilhart's original idea for the Ebolin / Tonalin mouthpieces was to make an affordable but quality mouthpiece - they were made out of molded plastic (or a plastic and rubber compound, maybe). But then back then Brilhart took some care to apply good facings, which you can't count on with the currently available version. I played several of them a few years ago, and they ranged from "poor" to "junk" in my estimation, but I know that others think they're okay for the money.

Also, though the general shape of the chamber appeared to be the same (horseshoe & straight walls) the dimensions seemed different from the Ebolins I've played from the '40s & '50s - though I've noticed slight differences in the chamber among the older 'pieces too.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,075 Posts
The new ones play nothing like the old ones. Wide rails, iffy facings. I think there are better under $50 mouthpieces.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
33,238 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
I say for you not to go and buy a cheap one, there are plenty of nice vintage brilharts out there! My first good mouthpiece was a Vintage Brilhart Tonalin great new york 5* and it is still my favorite mouthpiece after all these years.

Those are just cheap models made after their buy out of the company

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
12,876 Posts
Just for the record, I've seen more than a few vintage models with terrible facings. So bad they barely play. I admire Arnold Brilharts work too but don't mix up reality and legend.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts