Sax on the Web Forum banner

Brilhart Ligature

9K views 18 replies 11 participants last post by  Peterogping 
#1 ·
Hello,

I've seen some brilhart ligatures like the ones currently on ebay; however, I haven't seen any of the ones with the black rubber screws or like the one Kenny Garrett uses. I may have found one but I'm not sure. It was in a case with an old brilhart mouthpiece. Unfortunately, there are no markings on the ligature.

Would someone kindly post some pictures of what the Brilhart ligatures with the black rubber screws look like?

I would post pictures of mine but I'm on dial-up and my computer cannot seem to process the images.

Thanks for your help.

#8 ·
The info about this being for a streamline tenor mouthpiece is probably correct. It fits my RPC alto mouthpiece fine but is too tight on the Babbit-based Phil-tone. It works OK and looks pretty cool. I may not sound quite like Kenny Garrett with it, but unless someone comes along and offers me an outrageous amount of dough for it I'll probably just keep it.

#10 ·
Is it marked Brilhart anywhere ? I have a similar lig but with a white plastic plate, marked 4 on the inside. No other markings, and no black epoxy screw heads. It fits my RPC tenor piece. I am wondering if it is Brilhart.

#12 ·
#15 ·
10Mfan. Any comments to this ? (it's for tenor):

#17 ·
As stated above, the screws probably aren't original, but the lig looks right as rain. If you were to sell it, you might take a hit on the screws, but it should still go for rediculous money.

#18 ·
Judging by the recent popularity of these ligs, I'm surprised someone hasn't started copying them. Harrisons are being copied, why not this?

#19 ·
I have no way of knowing whether the screws are original. At least they don't look modern.
I happen to have a Harrison lig for bass clarinet that fits my RPC tenor mouthpiece and I have A-B'ed it tonight against the Brilhart.
Both are among the best ligatures I have tried. The Harrison is a little difficult to center, while the Brilhart is very easy to place right on the reed.
Both create a very good seal. The sound is somewhat softer with the Brilhart versus more bright and edgy with the Harrison. So it is a matter of taste which one is preferred.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.