Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I scored this with a decrepit true tone (that still played with an incredible tone and response despite leaking like a sieve).

It's nice but not really my thing so I'd like to sell it to fund the parts I need to bring the true tone up to scratch. Its serial number is 69k.

I had a bit of a hunt on the forum here and on the sold items on ebay but nothing in the same opening came up.

There's a hairline crack in the shank but it looks pretty good apart from that- see the pics.

Any ideas on what I should ask for it? I'm tempted just to chuck it on ebay to see how it goes, but ebay's a pain in the butt...

Cheers!

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Well, Great Neck, Tonalin, and in a more open facing are all very good features when trying to sell a Brilhart. Because of those factors you might be able to get as much as $150, but it's a crapshoot. Plastic Brilharts are somewhat undervalued. Ebolins can easily be had for under $100, even with serial numbers.

You could put it on the marketplace here and it might sell. Or put it on Ebay with a low-ish starting price ($50 maybe) and a Buy It Now at $125-150 and see what happens.

·
Registered
537 Posts
You could put it on the marketplace here and it might sell. Or put it on Ebay with a low-ish starting price ($50 maybe) and a Buy It Now at $125-150 and see what happens.
Looks like a nice clean piece with a bite plate without gouges (i've seen a lot looking much worse). Prices for Brillies on eBay are all over the place but sometimes these go for a fair amount...though I guess you checked completed auctions. Tonalins go for more than Ebolins and being a Great Neck adds value. I would start it higher than $50 though.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
I would start it higher than $50 though.
The only reason I suggested starting at $50 was because sometimes if the starting bid is too high it scares people away. Start it lower and it seems more attainable. Once people start bidding the game is on! It's psychology :mrgreen:

And because Brilhart prices are all over the map, a lower starting price will likely receive more bids than similar pieces starting in the $300-$400 range. I honestly don't think those pieces will sell until the seller lowers their prices. I always scroll right on by when I see overpriced Brilharts (or anything else for that matter.)

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
On the other hand, I say keep it. They really are great pieces. If the tip is too small for you consider having it opened by one of the many mouthpiece techs here on the forum. I have an Ebolin that Mojo rescued for me that is one of my favorite pieces, and I have a Tonalin that I'll hopefully be sending him soon to open up.

They're not your standard Link or Meyer sound. They're very characterful, and definitely underrated. You never know when it might fit a playing situation better than your current setup.

·
Registered
537 Posts
The only reason I suggested starting at $50 was because sometimes if the starting bid is too high it scares people away. Start it lower and it seems more attainable. Once people start bidding the game is on! It's psychology :mrgreen:

And because Brilhart prices are all over the map, a lower starting price will likely receive more bids than similar pieces starting in the $300-$400 range. I honestly don't think those pieces will sell until the seller lowers their prices. I always scroll right on by when I see overpriced Brilharts (or anything else for that matter.)
Those are good points; many BINs and starting prices seem like fantasyland.
You are also right that they aren't like anything else...hard to describe though.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
I’d never start that low. Start at the minimum price you’d be willing to accept. Otherwise, you may end up taking a huge hit on the mouthpiece. The only way to ensure against that scenario is to set a reserve price, and that tends to turn off bidders. In fact, for items like this, I would go the auction route. I’d go the BIN route with an option for buyers to make offers.

I would only start at a price lower than what I’d be willing to accept if I’m sure that the item is a hot ticket item that will almost 100% sell for market or close to it (based on eBay historical sales). As noted, Brilhart prices are all over the place. You don’t want to end up being on the very short end of the transaction.

The only reason I suggested starting at $50 was because sometimes if the starting bid is too high it scares people away. Start it lower and it seems more attainable. Once people start bidding the game is on! It's psychology

Those are good points; many BINs and starting prices seem like fantasyland.
You are also right that they aren't like anything else...hard to describe though.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Since it was case candy he's not really out anything if it sells low. Might not get enough to fund all the repairs to the True Tone, but something is better than nothing.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
He is out the difference between what it would have sold for and what it actually sells for. Something is better than nothing but more is better than less. Unless OP doesn';t care at all about money and/or is in a huge rush to sell it, selling this on open auction with a $50 starting price is bad advice.

He is not going to get nothing for this mouthpiece. It';s a Great Neck. I sold a Great Neck for $300, although that was a 4 digit one and in pristine condition. This is going to sell for less, but much, much less if he sells it on open auction with a $50 starting price.

Again, best option is BIN with option for buyer to make offers. That way both parties can negotiate a mutually acceptable price.

Since it was case candy he's not really out anything if it sells low. Might not get enough to fund all the repairs to the True Tone, but something is better than nothing.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OK cheers for all the advice. I'm not expecting huge money for it, but if it covers the cost of buying the replacement pads for the true tone and maybe a bit of cash besides (even roo pads are only $80) I'm ahead. I think setting the auction to start at a realistic price is good, annoyingly in australia I can't used a reserve on ebay (stupid but unless that's changed recently it's the case).

I was tempted to use it and get it refaced but I'm happier with my current setup than with this, so why change? I'm a tenor player at heart, and have far too much invested in my tenor pieces, it's easier to flip this to someone who wants to use it than go down the same mouthpiece rabbithole lol. If it doesn't sell on ebay I'll put it on the marketplace.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the advice guys, this is on ebay now, finishing tomorrow- just put the link up in the marketplace, if you're interested check there if you can't find it.

I've never really been comfortable with buy it now options; if I knew what I wanted for it, why wouldn't I just put it in the marketplace here? Plus it costs more in ebay fees 😉

1 - 11 of 11 Posts