Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I the idea to find a Brilhart mouthpiece for my tenor, about ebolin and tonalin I have found many informations, ebolin more bright than the toanlin, but nothing really precise about the Personaline, and for the moment I know two examples available with a tip opening near 0.80-0.85.
Someone can tell me more about this Personaline?

Thank you,
Olivier.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
7,897 Posts
I played a HR Personaline for a while. If I remember correctly it was an S5 facing. Very nice piece, and I should have kept it probably.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is exactly what I have found, Personaline S5 facing, can you tell me your impression, bright? Warm?
I like mouthpiece with projection, and brightness is not an inconvient for me, for the moment my main mouthpiece is a Vandoren Jumbo java! very bright... but I love it!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
7,897 Posts
Warm, definitely. But with good projection. I had no trouble cutting through in an octet lineup with 6 other horns.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Bright but nice and very easy, lot of projection. Heard yesterday someone on alto sounded very good. I have one to (alto) but play on something else. Don't pay to much for it!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,870 Posts
What kind of reed strength did you use on such a small tipopening?

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
I play an old HR Personaline which happens to be an S5 tip also. It is a different design from the Ebolin and Tonalin Personalines
as it has a larger round chamber. Sounds very warm on the darkish side but with sufficient projection and Ammons like power if needed.
I use a Rigotti 3 reed. For more foo foo diner jazz styles a 3,5 reed works great too.

I have also tried several Ebolin Personalines in various tip openings but neither of them could dethrone
my 'normal' Ebolin pieces. The HR Personaline is a different story however. More Link like.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Very good, I have my answers, I'm just a little worry with the small tip opening, I play usually on 0.100 tip opening, but I know it depend of the tip length, no?

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
i just got a 5S tonalin for tenor and i was worried as well,as i normally play a 2 or 2 1/4 reed i got the piece,and yeah these reeds were no good....i slapped a 3 on there and then even found a 3 1/2 and now its playing great!!! i wish it would be louder though...and i would put it on the dark side

1 - 10 of 10 Posts