Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, so I recently found this old brilhart ebolin streamline mouthpiece serial #5135 in an old mouthpiece drawer and I'm trying to figure out if the ligature is an actual brilhart ligature too. It seems to match the mouthpiece (because streamlines are thinner mouthpieces) but i can't find anything online about the ligature which I was recently told might be worth a decent amount of money. The other brilhart ligatures seem to have different colored reed plates and I can't seem to find any pictures or mention of ones with black plates. It has no markings on it so I'm starting to assume it might be a brilhart too.

I've been playing the mouthpiece/ligature combo (it came with a matching mpc cap too) recently but after being told how much it might be worth I'm more inclined to sell it or something. I was wondering if you all know anything more about this? thanks!!

View attachment 216464 View attachment 216466
View attachment 216468

·
Registered
6,357 Posts
That is an original Brillhart and it is valued highly but its not the most popular of their ligatures as far as the design, size and screws. Still quite nice.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,420 Posts
Mouthpiece facing number should be at the end of the table. An Ebolin Streamline alto with the original lig and cap should go pretty high, I'm thinking $450 or better if no cracks or other problems. What's that serial number, couldn't quite make it out. I'm pretty sure its a Great Neck but the number will tell. I wonder if somebody painted parts of the ligature black - all I've seen had brass top rails and an ivory reed plate. The screw head covers were all black. You don't find many of those 'Mickey Mouse' ligatures anymore. So-called because the screw covers looked like MM ears. :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Serial number is #5135. Whoa! well it's in good condition/no cracks and I actually found it with a great neck tonalin that was also in great condition! Yeah the black plates definitely confused me too because I couldn't find any pictures of them online

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,420 Posts
'Great Neck' does not appear on the Streamline Ebolin alto piece in that number range (2400-7200, approx.). Is the facing number clear or does it appear to be sanded-over? BTW, thanks to Theo Wanne's 'Mouthpiece Museum' for the details. We all should have this place in our favorites! I have played a lot of mouthpieces but a Brilhart always seems to find its way in somehow. My only one now is a Level Air baritone that really does the trick for me.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2007
1,247 Posts
Please confirm if it is indeed an alto mouthpiece.

I have in my lists an alto Ebolin Streamline tip 4 on the table and serial 5182 which came with the same black-plated ligature. It was sold for 405 $ in August 2014 on ebay.
And to 1saxman: There was no place to print Great Neck on the Streamlines, having "Streamline" on one side of the shaft and Ebolin/Tonalin/Hard Rubber/Tonalite on the other side of the shaft.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts