Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently acquired a Brilhart Ebolin tenor mouthpiece and I'm hoping to get some help figuring out its age. The mouthpiece was in the case of a 1968 Mark VI that I found at a garage sale. The seller told me it had been sitting in a closet untouched for at least 15 years.

I've done some research on Theo Wanne's site, but this mouthpiece doesn't seem to fit clearly anywhere in the Brilhart history. It also doesn't match the design of new Ebolins as shown on WWBW, etc.

Some details that may or may not be helpful: (1) there is no serial number printed on the mouthpiece. (2) The only words printed on it are "Brilhart" (with mouthpiece and reed logo) on the barrel and "Ebolin" on the shank. (3) there is no ligature line.

Thanks in advance for any info!

DSC00653.jpg DSC00659.jpg DSC00658.jpg DSC00662.jpg

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,758 Posts
Post-Brilhart Selmer owned. Same as current production. If it plays okay count yourself fortunate.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
After the Selmer buyout in 1966/67 the serials stayed for about 1 year. The numbers were now referring to the date of manufacturing, usually
ending on 67 for 1967. After that Selmer stopped using serials. So your Brilhart should probably date from 1968/69 up till now.
Looking at the pics I would guestimate it may be current production.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I have not dated a Brilhart Ebolin myself but I'd say start by taking it out for a few drinks, just be yourself and see were things go from there. Don't overthink it.

·
Registered
4,565 Posts
I have not dated a Brilhart Ebolin myself but I'd say start by taking it out for a few drinks, just be yourself and see were things go from there. Don't overthink it.
You win the internet today.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
:lol: Be careful though. Don't blow it or you might end up being stuck with it for the rest of your life.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
I buy these tonreface regularly for about 35-40 bucks if you are wondering about the value
Yes, I got one of those from you. A fantastic playing Brilhart!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts