Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am just wondering even though Brilharts are fairly popular in their hard rubber design why doesn't anyone make a copy of it. I am pretty sure Aizen or MouthpieceCafe could make a great copy of them and i'm pretty sure some people will buy them. So why no love for the Brilharts :(

·
Banned
2,248 Posts
Not too many people know about this but my saxophone teacher a long time ago--A guy named Jim Ator--had his personal, Joe Allard hand-picked Brilhart Ebolin 3* prototyped by the Babbit company back in the mid-90's and he sold the mouthpieces to his students for a modest price. I didn't buy one at the time because I didn't know what a Brilhart was. But I remembered he did this and recently gave him a call. He is now retired from Indiana University Purdue University Fort Wayne and not in the greatest of health but he STILL has some of his batch of mouthpieces...I got two of the alto pieces and OH MY GOD these pieces are awesome...really really nice pieces--I think they are about .73 or so...Best part is he sells these pieces for really really cheap. He doesn't advertise or market them and only his students know about them. If anyone is interested I can give you his phone number. I think the pieces sell for about 28$ But they are hand-made by the Babbitt company and are an exact prototype of his Brilhart Ebolin that his teacher Joe Allard picked out for him in the late 60's.

I'm not sure if he'll sell the pieces to just anyone and I"m not sure how many he has left...that is why i bought two of them.

Cheers,

R

·
Banned
2,248 Posts
Got some clarification on the Ator mouthpieces. They are not an EXACT Brilhart replica piece but rather the FACING and TIP opening of his old Brilhart Ebolin made by Babbitt for him. As well, the stock is newer stock recently made by the Babbitt corporation. I think they are more of a Meyer small chamber type piece with the Brilhart Ebolin 3* facing and tip...he can describe it a bit more if you are interested...They are really nice mouthpieces for the price.

His name is Dr. James Ator and his number in the US is 1-260-486-6803

Good luck

·
1,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Banned
2,248 Posts
What's the difference in the wwbw BRILHART EBOLINS and the more expensive ones? I realize the vintage ones are prob better but is it just a quality control issue or did the actual design change over time?

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2013-2016
7,890 Posts
What's the difference in the wwbw BRILHART EBOLINS and the more expensive ones? I realize the vintage ones are prob better but is it just a quality control issue or did the actual design change over time?
They changed the design slightly, but the big difference is the facing. There is NO hand facing work on the current ones; Selmer views them as a student level piece.

·
Distinguished Colorful Mouthpiece Designer
1,019 Posts

·
2,093 Posts
rhysonsax do I have to contact him personally to get one because I don't see them on his website
Yup, contact Ed directly by email or phone. I think there are quite a few things he does that are not listed on his website. He is a very friendly and approachable guy.

Rhys

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Mouthpiece Maker
1,816 Posts
Yup, contact Ed directly by email or phone. I think there are quite a few things he does that are not listed on his website. He is a very friendly and approachable guy.

Rhys
+1 -- I have seen more of Ed's mouthpieces that aren't on his website than are!

AFAICT, the current Brillharts are similar enough to the vintage ones that which one plays better is just a matter of which one has the better finish (facing, etc.).

·
1,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Rhys
Thanks i'll try and get in contact with him soon.

+1 -- I have seen more of Ed's mouthpieces that aren't on his website than are!

AFAICT, the current Brillharts are similar enough to the vintage ones that which one plays better is just a matter of which one has the better finish (facing, etc.).
Thanks for the info Morgan but i'm wondering are you ever going to make a Brilhart copy?

·
Premium Member
3,302 Posts
True of the Ebolin/Tonalin design, but the large-chamber hard-rubber Brilharts were different entities altogether. The tenor versions are particularly special, in my experience.

·
Banned
2,248 Posts
Morgan--Thanks for that insight...I'll try a few of the cheapo 35$ Brilharts and see what happens...I love Brilharts on alto...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Mouthpiece Maker
1,816 Posts
True of the Ebolin/Tonalin design, but the large-chamber hard-rubber Brilharts were different entities altogether. The tenor versions are particularly special, in my experience.
Yeah these are a different animal altogether. Really nice round chambered pieces, with potential to be really special pieces.

JackLi, I don't anticipate making a copy of these. The current ones are close enough and so cheap, and I think a round chamber makes for a better mouthpiece. I'm always happy to reface them, though.

·
1,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yeah these are a different animal altogether. Really nice round chambered pieces, with potential to be really special pieces.

JackLi, I don't anticipate making a copy of these. The current ones are close enough and so cheap, and I think a round chamber makes for a better mouthpiece. I'm always happy to reface them, though.
Thanks Morgan but I have been trying to find a Hard Rubber one because my teacher has a couple of vintage ebolin and a tonalin so I am looking
for one like their normal HR version or a HR personaline copy.

·
Banned
2,196 Posts
I would even bet that with plastics, older is NOT better... Plastics break down and get brittle with age, not a good thing when you consider a reed will be slapping against it how ever many thousands of times per song. Buy a new one and get it refaced by a pro and it will be better than old Ebolin/Tonalin

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
I would even bet that with plastics, older is NOT better... Plastics break down and get brittle with age, not a good thing when you consider a reed will be slapping against it how ever many thousands of times per song. Buy a new one and get it refaced by a pro and it will be better than old Ebolin/Tonalin
I play a couple of real old ones (40's/50's/60's). No break down or brittleness or any issues at all.
The Tonalins are known to crack in the shank area though when handled too rough. But that
is due to the use of the weaker white plastic.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
I've had many vintage plastic Brilharts. The plastics are more stable than hard rubber. I've never seen any breakdown or brittleness due to age. The shanks could crack if forced on too thick a neck cork. The new brilharts are student mouthpieces and very dark or dull sounding. They would need more than just refacing. In this case older is better.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts