Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So recently I've acquired a Brilhart Bari piece, a tonalin 5*. It has a large font(under the classification of saxmundstykker.dk) of 24501 and a ligature line, which indicates Great Neck but then the shank has a ring on it so I can't tell directly. What are your opinions
Also it has a large chamber, the first time I've seen one on a brilhart after owning 6 and seeing a few more. Is this a feature or an option on Greak Neck Baris?
View attachment 214338 View attachment 214340 View attachment 214342

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,432 Posts
I think the font of the serial number makes it a Great Neck. The chamber may have been altered.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
12,711 Posts
My understanding is that 5 digit serial numbers were from Great Neck, 6 from Carlsbad era.

https://www.saxophone.org/museum/mouthpieces/model/221

As for baffle...there is a very, very large amount of variance in their pieces...even in the same era and probably same day. More or less baffle is not a good indication of which it might be.

The throat does not look altered by had to me. Pretty freaking smooth and even for that back in the mpc.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My understanding is that 5 digit serial numbers were from Great Neck, 6 from Carlsbad era.

https://www.saxophone.org/museum/mouthpieces/model/221

As for baffle...there is a very, very large amount of variance in their pieces...even in the same era and probably same day. More or less baffle is not a good indication of which it might be.

The throat does not look altered by had to me. Pretty freaking smooth and even for that back in the mpc.
According to Theo Wanne Brilhart restarted their serials when they moved to huntington. So there are 5 digits produced in Carlsbad, just in a different font.

This is also what I was thinking regarding baffles, as there are a lot of variance when it comes to vintage pieces. But then this is the first time I've ever seen a big chamber on a Brilhart. If this is original I guess there are still more history about Brilharts that awaits discovery

1 - 6 of 6 Posts