Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've reached a point where I honestly think my Jumbo Java is too bright for me (didn't see that coming with a Jumbo Java).

I think I would like something metal, for the feel and size. I want a baffle that is longer but lower than that of the Jumbo Java. I'm looking at a BARI gold but can't find one. I don't like how low the Beechler's baffle is, and especially with the chamber wart and expensive "customizing."

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
258 Posts
A Berg Larsen 1 or 2, possibly? Brancher B's or J's are also very good, and not too expensive. Even though its supposed to be the third-darkest mouthpiece they make, the J is quite bright... kind of like a Berg 1.5, but finished better.

Also, Weiner Music carries BARI Golds for SATB, the least time I checked.

·
Registered
836 Posts
I had a Jumbo Java refaced by Mojo. He did a great job on it! Tamed the baffle, among other things. It plays with a lot of power still but much warmer than before.
Otherwise, try Sakshama.

·
Registered
8,974 Posts
Metal Guy Hawkins. There is a metal Wolfe Tanne that is similar (or same) design. Jody Jazz ESP. Yanagisawa metal. Not sure if these long low baffles are what you mean.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think I've found the perfect solution. Brilhart Level-Aire.

1. I've never liked the extremely tiny metal alto profiles a great deal
2. It's only $103 at Mouthpiece Express
3. It's got the spoilers
4. I could actually sell my Jumbo with a ligature and not lose any money

Now, I can't seem to locate any tip charts for the metal Brilhart. There are many for the Hard Rubber Brilharts, which would mean I want a #7, but I don't know if the metals are any different.

·
Registered
8,974 Posts
The modern LA is made by Runyon. The interior design is the same as the Runyon Quantum and the exterior is the same as their Smoothbore. The sizes should be the same as Runyon's too. You tend to need a higher number size than with other mouthpieces. On alto 7=.082", 10=.093".

1 - 7 of 7 Posts