Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been playing a lot of trio gigs and now I seem too be playing more big band type gigs and need a mouthpiece that cuts well for soloing and such though the band.

I currently play on a vintage berg hr 7*

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
13,022 Posts
Try a BERG 110/1 OR 110/0
Should brighten things up a bit.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2014
26,311 Posts
I used a Dukoff D7 to play lead alto. I don't think I'd use it to play 2nd though. It depends on what part you're playing. You can get away with a little more edge playing lead than playing the other parts, as long as everyone blends.

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2013-2016
7,887 Posts
Dukoffs are the most cutting pieces there are. Berg 0 chambers aren't far behind.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
i used to use a dukoff D-8 that cut extremely well and had a great sound but it was not the real big band lead sound.I play with guys from that era and recently switched to a Jody Jazz Classic # 7 and love the warmer sound. Very lush low notes. like a tenor. It is a HR style mouthpiece that can still cut.It is a hand finished and tested mouthpiece for less than $130 bucks. If you want a little more edge it comes with a spoiler that makes it really scream. I like the sound better for big band and the old school guys noticed and complimented me on it. I liked it so much i sold my backup dukoff. I could use this one with the spoiler for rock and contemporary jazz if I needed to.

sorry was referring to my alto.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
dukoffs for tenors are great. I use a D -8. I recently switched to a Jody jazz DV 8 and love the extra warmth without losing power.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts