Sax on the Web Forum banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Ken uses "beasonators" but I did not opt for that. I'll see how it goes with the Kali, experiment with reeds. Never found an aftermarket neck as good at the original - good yes, different yes, but not as good, not as preseving of the VI vibe. I really rather like the dark sound, just that I'm getting a different kind of work these days, more funk oriented. Or maybe I'll just give up these funk gigs, stick with a kinder gentler music, and trade the VI for a Borg. How's that sound Dr. G?
Leon, have you tried the TN1 from Tino Schucht? Bill Evans use it for the last 5 years (exclusively). He plays Funk, Fusion all that stuff with it - for a reason I think. And soundwise his horn is still a real Mark VI.

·
Über Geek, Forum Contributor 2010 Distinguished SO
3,841 Posts
My gut reaction is that metal resos (and my experience has been with the Noyek-style fluted kind) seem to give the horn a bit more punch. I used to own two of the same make/model baritone, one of which had been overhauled with them, which is the basis of my observation. Since then, I've had the same resonators put into a Mark VI baritone I use as a backup, and the SBA tenor I currently play. Both are BIG sounding horns, with a lot of punch, but neither one was playing well when I overhauled them so I can't give you a specific before/after assessment.

I also had a set of Noyeks put in my backup alto, which is a mid-60s US-made Vito. I don't yearn for a bright sound on alto (my alto sound is bright enough all by itself :(), but it does help this small-bore horn project well over a band, and it's actually pretty fun to play.

As for pads, I've just had my alto overhauled with Roos, using the same plastic resos as it came with. No detectable difference in sound, but the action feels awesome, and I dig the added durability.

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
3,112 Posts
Have you tried using slightly softer reeds? They give more brightness and flexibility.

·
Premium Member
2,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Will try changing reeds; I know that has some effect. Put some silly putty in my Florida STM - big difference. Kali arrives the 28th. Not familair with the tN1 mentioned earlier. Haven't heard saxophonist Bill Evans mentioned in quite awhile. Wonder what he's up to these days.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
2,357 Posts
I suspect the Kali will give you about the same effect/ sound as the link with the sillyputty. ( it will set you back some more $$ though)
Let us know the differences , I'm curious...

21 - 26 of 26 Posts