Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ken Beason said that my 103K Mark VI was one of the darkest he had ever played. Not stuffy, but dark. He described it as dark and very powerful. That was fine by me, in line with my sound concept at the time. Not so much today. It's outfitted with plastic flat resos and I'm wondering to what extent large domed metal resos might brighten it. I expect I would have to repad it, but that's okay because I'd like to outfit it with roo pads anyway, because I like their feel.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
4,466 Posts
I have a 103xxx too. It is dark and has good punch. It now has oversized brass slightly domed resonators and it didn't really change in terms of the darkness significantly coming from the plastic reso's. If the horn doesn't need an overhaul -I'd wait till it does to change them

·
Registered
565 Posts
Depending on what you are using now, a different mouthpiece could significantly brighten up your sound.
+1
Your choice of mouthpiece will have the greatest effect on your sound. What are you using now?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
34,994 Posts
Ken Beason said that my 103K Mark VI was one of the darkest he had ever played. Not stuffy, but dark. He described it as dark and very powerful. That was fine by me, in line with my sound concept at the time. Not so much today. It's outfitted with plastic flat resos and I'm wondering to what extent large domed metal resos might brighten it. I expect I would have to repad it, but that's okay because I'd like to outfit it with roo pads anyway, because I like their feel.
How does it compare to your Borgani Jubilee experiences?

Mouthpieces will make a bigger difference than reso's.

·
Premium Member
1,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am using a Florida STM but have a Kali on the way. George, please whisper the words "Borgani Jubilee" very quietly to spare me an acute attack of gas. In terms of comparison - very different animals, each with their own thing to offer. I love Borganis, havve seen a couple of Borgs on the web and been tempted. Would prefer to play one first next time around. Ideally would like to pick one in the factory. On the other hand, if yours ever goes up for sale, email me first.

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
3,410 Posts
Leon, you need a Serie111 'BoosterNeck' should be straight fit--these necks believe it or not--do exactly what it says in the hype. A 'standard' Serie111 neck should also significantly 'brighten' your horn as well.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,484 Posts
Mouthpiece is the best place to go here. I'm not really convinced resonators do much, I have a tenor that doesn't have any on it at all, and it's as loud as anything I've ever played. Material of resonator definitely has no bearing on it either. Besides, most of the metal ones I've seen out there are cheap steel and tend to rust anyways. No need for that!

·
34,994 Posts
George, please whisper the words "Borgani Jubilee" very quietly to spare me an acute attack of gas. In terms of comparison - very different animals, each with their own thing to offer. I love Borganis, have seen a couple of Borgs on the web and been tempted. Would prefer to play one first next time around. Ideally would like to pick one in the factory. On the other hand, if yours ever goes up for sale, email me first.
Borg' collective news: One of our SotW brethern PM'd me about a new Jubilee that sounds pretty interesting (black/silver) - I hope that he, too, joins the collective soon.

Regarding mine: I intend to will it to my children but will leave a note to send it to you if neither has any interest in it. Until then...

Be well. The collective misses you and we will continue to try to entice you back. It's a kinder, gentler collective these days - we only want you if you choose to be among us. Anything else gives us all a headache.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,476 Posts
I'm curious . . . how does one go about proving that any resonator, or lack thereof, has any effect? It seems to me that when one removes resonators (which mostly requires the old pads to be replaced), then re-installs pads and new resos, that process changes the whole horn to a point where it would be difficult to show what caused any improvement, deterioration, or maintenance of the status-quo. We all have our opinions (much like finish-matters discussions), but is there proof? DAVE

·
Premium Member
1,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm curious . . . how does one go about proving that any resonator, or lack thereof, has any effect? It seems to me that when one removes resonators (which mostly requires the old pads to be replaced), then re-installs pads and new resos, that process changes the whole horn to a point where it would be difficult to show what caused any improvement, deterioration, or maintenance of the status-quo. We all have our opinions (much like finish-matters discussions), but is there proof? DAVE
I find this interesting because one person I know and trust swore by his replaced large metal resos enhancing his tenor, but he also at the time installed roo pads. On the other hand, I've heard it said that the only difference with roo pads is in the feel.

·
Registered
248 Posts
The neck is really important. Sometimes Mark Vi necks sound a bit like "Booooooh". There are aftermarket necks that gives you a more modern/bright tone with a freeblowing feeling (but without loosing depth or character). I recommend the necks from Tino Schucht - especially for Mark VIs.

·
34,994 Posts
Leon, since you had Ken Beason working on your horn, what does he suggest?

Metal resos? Oversize metal resos? Borgani? :twisted:

Have you talked to Randy Jones about it? Perhaps a road trip to try some necks?

At least when trying necks, you can get a good sense of the difference right away - the bonus is that it is reversible.

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician.
1,532 Posts
I had a 140 XXX tenor thats was great but played dark, I repadded it with hloywood resonators & lucien delux pads & it was a completely different sounding horn! I wouldnt have believed it myself before I did it but it made the horn much brighter.......so I gues I am a convert in this resonator idea. I agree though tha before repadding an already good horn I would try out a few mouthpieces or even different reeds first.

·
Premium Member
1,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ken uses "beasonators" but I did not opt for that. I'll see how it goes with the Kali, experiment with reeds. Never found an aftermarket neck as good at the original - good yes, different yes, but not as good, not as preseving of the VI vibe. I really rather like the dark sound, just that I'm getting a different kind of work these days, more funk oriented. Or maybe I'll just give up these funk gigs, stick with a kinder gentler music, and trade the VI for a Borg. How's that sound Dr. G?

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
Hi Dave. One time I had some upper stack pads replaced in Berkeley when I lived in the Bay Area.

The guy saw that my mouthpiece was a 130/3 offset M Berg. He probably felt sorry for me.

Anyway he put in those fluted metal resonators ( can't remember the name of them ).

Sounded like lightning striking it was so bright.

·
34,994 Posts
Or maybe I'll just give up these funk gigs, stick with a kinder gentler music, and trade the VI for a Borg. How's that sound Dr. G?
Whatever makes you happy will thrill me, Leon. I just want to see you happy after all the trials and tribulations that you've experienced.

Who says you can't get funky on a Jubilee? Give Tim Price a holler and have him Skype you a demo of that gold plate Jubilee that he's sellin'.

http://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthread.php?160247

I'm betting he'll get funky at the drop of a fedora.

·
34,994 Posts
1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.