Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

As those of you I've had the pleasure of chatting with will know, I've been on trail of a dark tenor sound for the last 2 years or so. I have found great happiness with the JodyJazz ESP 120....lovely piece.....defintely will keep as my main tool.

That said, I've got a studio session with a rock band in May and think it might be smart to get one bright piece to have for this kind of situation. :twisted: I'm also curious as I've never really played anything but the large bore, low baffle type of piece.

I play a early aristocrat tenor, so may need to be careful of tuning with very small chamber pieces?

I've been thinking of maybe a dukoff D chamber (if can find a good one it seems), Guardala Studio (expensive but will always get your money back), Berg 130/0, or maybe even a Lawton BB (pref brass and 8* or bigger. I had a stainless 7* which didn't really like)

I like Breckers tone on Two Blocks from the Edge and also like early Grover - don't really know many other bright, modern players - oh, except Bill Evans - great soulful sound!

Any suggestions/offers? I have a great berg 125/3 SMS and an Early babbit HR 7 Link worked on by Theo to offer as trade or part trade?

drop me a line [email protected]

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks Sam! Had a nice gig with the ESP.....listened to the recording that was done of it and realised just how dark this sounds on recording (without the spoiler i should add).... Lovely warm, fat sound!

Nefertiti gave me the same advice on the Studio. Do you know what the tip size is on these? Do you prefer the gold or silver plate?

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Do these come with ligature? would the ESP rovner be the right size?

What reeds do u like? unfiled i imagine?

wwbw still has these - going to order on trial from them.

many thanks :D

·
Registered
729 Posts
Paul,they come with standard two screw lig. and a cap.The lig actually works quite well with the piece.ESP Rovner will be a little too big,I use Eddie Daniels Rovner on it (the one with two plates).I use LaVoz mediums on my Studio,works well indeed.Good Luck!

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks again Sam! Can't tell you how much I appreciate having experienced guys like you and Nefertiti around who are prepared to share your knowledge :D

I have ordered a goldplated Studio on trial from WWBW. For anyone interested, they have 11 of these left (and a few silvers) at $365. Having seen what Guardala's are going for on ebay, I'd say latching onto one of these could just be a really good investment! Obviously not as valuable as the hand made ones, but you're still not going to lose money IMHO.

I stand to be corrected, but I don't think dave is still making pieces at this time due to some unfortunate business difficulties?

what's that strange bloated feeling :shock: .......oh no........ its GAS :oops:

·
Registered
697 Posts
Paul S:
If you truly like the ESP, then why change embouchures? Use the ESP with the baffle in, find a lig that gives the brightest sound, and use a bright/buzzy reed.

I found a combination of ESP (.110) w/spoiler, RJS unfiled 3S, Rovner Mk III that produces a tone very similar to Gerald Albright's tenor sound on "Cold Duck Time". Also, I take a bit more mouthpiece in my mouth than I would when playing smokey subtones.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
hi Balladeer

I don't really get much of a difference with or without the spoiler - a little bit, but not night and day.(no pun intended)

I'm using RJS 2H's on the ESP and its just great for most situations, but I'm still pretty dark. I guess I could try take in some more mouthpiece, use less bottom lip etc, but don't really want to mess with my embouchure. Actually its only since i started doing session and recording stuff that I realised just how dark I am. Was doing mostly acoustic gigs in small intimate, venues..

I doubt the studio will become my main piece, but i want to try a really bright roaring piece just to experience it. Part of the fun of trying new pieces for me is that every now and then, the new piece will do something or give me a sound I've not gotten before - for me this opens the door to a new colour or emotion in my playing. I am concerned that I am developing into a player that can play warm, pretty, swinging stuff pretty well, but don't ask me to really let rip!! I don't have that vocabulary or sound - maybe trying a real bright piece and doing some brecker or evans transcriptions will help me down that road.

I know that one should really stick to one piece and make it do what you want, but heck.......new mouthpieces are such fun :)

besides how can i call myself a modern tenor player and not at least have tried a guardala! :p

After this one......i promise I'll stop..........honest...........no problem..............any time i want.............just got to say "NO"...............easy................. :wink:

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
24,350 Posts
Paul,
For a big, bright, roaring sound, I think you are right to try something other than the ESP. I don't think the ESP was designed for that kind of sound. At the risk of further GAS, I'd suggest a Sugal SG II copper mpc. This mouthpiece will really rip on your Aristocrat tenor....at least it does on mine. Unfortunately, the price tag is rather steep for Sugals, unless you can find a used one. Good luck in your search.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks guys...

bootman, i know that you favour the Lawton on the Aristocrat - maybe i'll keep my eye on ebay for a open Lawton BB in brass - ideally think I'd like a 9 or maybe even 9*. Need to sell some stuff first though

I'm going to try the studio and see how that goes - did u ever try one on your aristocrat?

·
Registered
697 Posts
I agree with JL. A Sugal Super Gonz II is bright, full and EXTREMELY loud. I have owned both at the same time. So, I can say that the SGII is much louder than the ESP. The Sugal has a wide body - a little wider than a Link STM. The ESP is very narrow. The embouchure muscles work different on the sides.

The Super Gonz I is a bit less bright - more like a bright Link. But both the SGI and SGII are very full sounding pieces (unlike Dukoff). Personally, I prefer the Sugal Super Gonz's to the ESP. For me, there's too little spread in the low notes with the ESP. Either SGI or SGII can be found on eBay for $170-$250.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Yep,I have to agree with that.After trying (too) many pieces,the Studio is still the number one in my book for rock/pop stuff and works as an all-around piece too.No mouthpiece is perfect but Studio is almost there :mrgreen:

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,187 Posts
your crat will tune well with any mpc.(unlike most vintage tenors). no one has mentioned the runyon quantum yet . (plastic) another great extremly bright plastic mpc is the lakey 8*3

·
Registered
51 Posts
FrankD, What model winslow lig do you use that fits your DG Studio? i have a studio and am currently looking for a winslow for it? Also do you know where i would get one? i cant get them anywhere in the u.k?
Thanks Chris!! 8)

·
Distinguished SOTW Researcher
3,057 Posts
Chris-sax, I bought the Winslow so long ago I don't really know what size it is. I was in Manny's in LA and told him I was disappointed with the Studio (after waiting 6 months to get it), and he said "try this" and put a Winslow on it. It made such a dramatic difference I bought it on the spot w/o asking any questions!

Check the Ligatures thread for info regarding availability. I think someone listed some places in Europe that have them available by mail.

Again, I'd strongly urge you to try a Selmer metal as well. They're readily available and less than 1/2 the price of the Winslow. I think if I had found the Selmer first, I wouldn't have kept looking. I don't understand what's so special about these ligs, they just look like an ordinary metal lig, but I've found them to be extremely responsive on both the DG Studio and my metal Link.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hi Alan

I'd be very surprised if WWBW actually made these. I'm pretty sure that Dave has manufactured all of these himself.... only change been that the recent ones are laser-trimmed and not hand made/finished. From what I can glean from the experiences of others on this forum, this has had no negative impact on the quality of the pieces.

To my knowledge WWBW are simply a retailer of his pieces, like they are for link, berg, ponzol, sugal, etc.....

I'll be sure to write back when I receive mine - can't wait to see if all the fuss about guardala pieces is justified! I can say without reserve that the ESP i have defintely justifies the fuss......awesome piece if you like a dark to medium fat clear tone.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.