Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey, i'm trying to brighten my sound, and i need some suggestions for a ligature that will fit my tenor sr tech legend. right now i'm using the rovner star series that came with it, and my tone seems muffled. i was wondering about maybe a rovner lagacy, with the metal plates. any other suggestions/recommendations?

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
I haven't found too many ligs, especially metal ones, that fit these trim line tenor pieces. I have both a Legend and a Titan and the Legend is the darkest playing metal mouthpiece I've ever played. Honestly, I think you are better off trying some other mouthpieces to get a brighter sound. If you are going to try ligs first I'd try the Rovner Platinum, a Francois Louis, or Theo Wanne.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks so much man! I don't really like high baffle pieces... I'm compensating with a bright horn and some bright reeds... I'll look into your suggestions for sure though.

·
Registered
139 Posts
you could try a fortissimo ligature, pretty much fits all sizes and you could change the pressure plates for different sounds

·
Registered
610 Posts
there can be a lot of things that can contribute to a stuffy sound. You don't say what tip opening you're playing, or the reed strength. You could try going to a softer reed, putting more mouthpiece in the mouth, and relaxing the jaw - these would all help, particularly the amount of mouthpiece in the mouth.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the mouthpiece doesn't at all feel stuffy, like i've experienced with some links. it's not the feel, it's the sound... the tip opening is 0.108 and the reed strength is a vandoren v16 3. as for the amount of mouthpiece, i use quite a bit; my upper lip is really close to touching the end, and my jaw is relaxed. i think my embouchure is good, i'm just working on my sound. what do you all think of a BG metal "jazz" ligature? they might be more readily available.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I've got an old E Russeau lig, I have no clue if it would fit your mouthpiece, but I think it came stock with my E Rosseau metal tenor piece, and boy is it bright! I had to get another like ( a soprano rovner) just to keep the paint on my walls, but I do use it for outside gigs where I need projection like no one's business

·
Registered
886 Posts
what do you all think of a BG metal "jazz" ligature? they might be more readily available.
I have tried this ligature with SR mouthpieces and I hate it. It slips far too easily on the mouthpiece. The BG Revelation is a much better choice.

I have used the Brancher ligature with SR mouthpieces, they are a good fit. A Selmer 404 can also be made to work, but you'll have to file the inner edges quite a bit to allow it to close far enough (the alto 402 just isn't big enough).

EDIT: Snagged by the zombie thread again!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts