Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I keep reading about and hearing about notebooks of ideas that Brecker used to keep. Does anyone know if these things are going to be published or if they've been released to the world in some way, yet? I read a comment on a thread on SoTW that said he was very protective of them.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,077 Posts
I'm still surprised to see the lack of almost anything after his death. His last album was released but that was it. I figured at least a cd worth of remarkable board mixes from shows around the world, a "Best Of ..." cd, at least an anthology "box set" type of release with maybe some never before released trax (you know they exist) ... nothing ...
Quincy Jones had an interesting chapter in his autobiography about when Clifford Brown died, Quincy walked down to the newstand when he heard the news and was going to buy some copies of the paper so he could show his son later in life "I knew this cat ...." thinking it was going to be like headline news, or at least headline in the arts section but there was nothing at all ... kinda how I felt after Breker passing ...

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,921 Posts
..I don't think we'll ever see Brecker's notebooks but if it/they were ever published it would become the Holy Grail of jazz saxophone!!!...:)
Dan Brown is currently working on something I believe...:)

·
Distinguished SOTW Columnist and Saxophonistic Art
6,260 Posts
~ In the decades...I knew Michael from his Horace Silver days, when we first met & jammed at Berklee in the mid-day with my friends drummer Joe Hunt and mallet man Dave Sammuels & others...everyone knew Michael was sent here to knock us out. And he did!!!!:)

The times I was in his loft or home, he always had something going that was amazing. Yet he was like still thinking it was so-so. He was a killer drummer, I mean at a point where he could of played road gigs with TOP!!! And I'm not joking. He tracked a Eddie Harris CD once, last time we hung....and played drums with the " Listen Here" cut note for note. He also, could _HEAR_your NEXT NOTE AS YA PLAYED IT. If you played 4's with him you might think you we in a echo chamber if it was a session. Then he'd take it WAY OUT THERE or the opposite.

It's 6:11 am here, before I go to NYC to teach @ New School University / Jazz to teach at 13 and 6th. It's sometimes very hard to not think of ...THE BRECKER...I knew VS THE MEDIA GOD that played with Carly and James and changed the world. He holds the record...for a lot. He WORKED HARD...everyone wanted to be him, and the only way to be him was to be a work-a-holic shed-a-holic love child. He never trashed anyone and that took a toll on him via his early daZE too.

I'll also say...he was a great flute player. He had a Louis Lott flute...and played great. He swore he could not play flute or soprano. Believe me- nobody had his ears.

He also holds the record in my home...LOL....for waking up my wife!! I had John Stubblefield, Ernie Watts, Slagle, Jeff Coffin...and a quite a few others here playing LATE in my home in my studio. Michael once was here after a jazz fest gig, saw a Balanced Action laying on a table with a Theo Link on it...and got postal and grabbed it and said can I play it- I said sure knowing my wife slept thru EVERYTHING. WELL- The house rocked...the cat was so knocked out she got a front row seat on the chair near him to check him, and next thing I see IS MY WIFE IN HER SWEATS AT 12:20 IN THE MORN..[rolleyes]..HAHAHA. She was cool. And told Mike don't worry it's ok- and we went downstairs. But he holds the record!!!! It was kinda funny. We used to laugh about that a lot.

His knowledge and his mind was like NO other...ever. The Slominsky book in his hands was another thing...I heard it. It was like Slominsky vamps. He used to say listen...and play Slominsky line maceo style!!!!! I'd be on the floor in his loft laughing at his humor....but to know the humor you'd have to know the Maceo record where he playS TENOR. Actually I used to dub that record for Liebs all the time too...that was the thang music.

OK- HTH,, I DO MISS THAT CAT AND CHARLIE BANACOS AND MARIANO DAILY.

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Awesome story... that's the thing that always strikes me in interviews with him or in something like the NTSU video - how kind and humble the guy seemed to be. Very encouraging to others, always a kind word, and always saying how "I'm still working on that like you guys" or talking about what he was still trying to learn. When he would talk about Trane or Joe Henderson, or whoever he was always so reverent. So appreciative.

That's a huge lesson - there's always something new to learn, or different perspective. Forget all the technique stuff, just look at how Brecker's playing continued to evolve while he already playing at the highest level. He changed aspects of his sound, tone color, everything.

We all know his technique was super-human. God like. But, he was so VERY human. Seemed to be all about listening, practicing, hanging out with other guys...he just loved music and had so much to give. It's so obvious all of the hard work and dedication that went into his craft, and sensitivity and thoughtfulness. In a lot of ways, similar to those older players who had those same qualities and lived for the music.

·
Registered
881 Posts
... He used to say listen...and play Slominsky line maceo style!!!!! I'd be on the floor in his loft laughing at his humor....but to know the humor you'd have to know the Maceo record where he playS TENOR. Actually I used to dub that record for Liebs all the time too...that was the thang music.
Thanks for sharing your story of this extraordinary musician.
BTW, I was not aware that there is a recording of Maceo playing tenor? Is it available on one of his released albums that one might find in iTunes or similar?

·
28,921 Posts
We all know his technique was super-human. God like.
I wouldn't go quite that far, but one thing that occurs to me is that it was so easy for his phenominal dexterity to mask what a truly great player he was. But I would think that if his notebooks become available, interesting as it might be, it won't really help anyone.

·
2,046 Posts
Oddly enough, I've got one of them. My teacher--from 15 years ago let me check his out and I made a copy. God, it's been ten years since I even thought about these--looking at it now. Messian Scales, Yusef Lateef lines, Raggs, Sunset, Toomi scales, notes from teaching clinics, bass + sax etudes he did for Dave Holland...I'm going to have to go through all this stuff tonight! I also have a similar book that my teacher created, but it is all of his transcribed Brecker solos of the time...Pools, Islands, etc.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Many years ago I briefly studied with a wonderful bebop tenor player, who played with Duke Jordan in NYC, by the name of Ira Jackson. Ira grew up in Detroit and studied along with Charles McPherson, Lonnie Hillyard with Barry Harris. I met Charles at Ira's apartment one day as well as Walter Davis jr.

Anyway, Ira told me a quick story of a friend of his, I'm afraid the name escapes me, that while over Michael Brecker's residence the individual saw a notebook sitting on Michael's table. So the individual started thumbing through it and as Michael entered the room he saw the individual with the book and snatched it from him and Michael apparently was quite irate about it.

Maybe it was his diary? lol.....

·
2,046 Posts
pete: Any way I can get in touch with dan brown? I want to make sure that what I have is what I think I have.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
~ In the decades...I knew Michael from his Horace Silver days, when we first met & jammed at Berklee in the mid-day with my friends drummer Joe Hunt and mallet man Dave Sammuels & others...everyone knew Michael was sent here to knock us out. And he did!!!!:)

The times I was in his loft or home, he always had something going that was amazing. Yet he was like still thinking it was so-so. He was a killer drummer, I mean at a point where he could of played road gigs with TOP!!! And I'm not joking. He tracked a Eddie Harris CD once, last time we hung....and played drums with the " Listen Here" cut note for note. He also, could _HEAR_your NEXT NOTE AS YA PLAYED IT. If you played 4's with him you might think you we in a echo chamber if it was a session. Then he'd take it WAY OUT THERE or the opposite.

It's 6:11 am here, before I go to NYC to teach @ New School University / Jazz to teach at 13 and 6th. It's sometimes very hard to not think of ...THE BRECKER...I knew VS THE MEDIA GOD that played with Carly and James and changed the world. He holds the record...for a lot. He WORKED HARD...everyone wanted to be him, and the only way to be him was to be a work-a-holic shed-a-holic love child. He never trashed anyone and that took a toll on him via his early daZE too.

I'll also say...he was a great flute player. He had a Louis Lott flute...and played great. He swore he could not play flute or soprano. Believe me- nobody had his ears.

He also holds the record in my home...LOL....for waking up my wife!! I had John Stubblefield, Ernie Watts, Slagle, Jeff Coffin...and a quite a few others here playing LATE in my home in my studio. Michael once was here after a jazz fest gig, saw a Balanced Action laying on a table with a Theo Link on it...and got postal and grabbed it and said can I play it- I said sure knowing my wife slept thru EVERYTHING. WELL- The house rocked...the cat was so knocked out she got a front row seat on the chair near him to check him, and next thing I see IS MY WIFE IN HER SWEATS AT 12:20 IN THE MORN..[rolleyes]..HAHAHA. She was cool. And told Mike don't worry it's ok- and we went downstairs. But he holds the record!!!! It was kinda funny. We used to laugh about that a lot.

His knowledge and his mind was like NO other...ever. The Slominsky book in his hands was another thing...I heard it. It was like Slominsky vamps. He used to say listen...and play Slominsky line maceo style!!!!! I'd be on the floor in his loft laughing at his humor....but to know the humor you'd have to know the Maceo record where he playS TENOR. Actually I used to dub that record for Liebs all the time too...that was the thang music.

OK- HTH,, I DO MISS THAT CAT AND CHARLIE BANACOS AND MARIANO DAILY.
Thank you for this!

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Oddly enough, I've got one of them. My teacher--from 15 years ago let me check his out and I made a copy. God, it's been ten years since I even thought about these--looking at it now. Messian Scales, Yusef Lateef lines, Raggs, Sunset, Toomi scales, notes from teaching clinics, bass + sax etudes he did for Dave Holland...I'm going to have to go through all this stuff tonight! I also have a similar book that my teacher created, but it is all of his transcribed Brecker solos of the time...Pools, Islands, etc.
Uh... I'd really, REALLY like to have a copy of that! Please?

·
Distinguished SOTW Researcher
2,848 Posts
I'm still surprised to see the lack of almost anything after his death. His last album was released but that was it. I figured at least a cd worth of remarkable board mixes from shows around the world, a "Best Of ..." cd, at least an anthology "box set" type of release with maybe some never before released trax (you know they exist) ... nothing ......
Have to agree with you there. I thought some unreleased tracks or alternate takes would have surfaced by now. Bret Primack (JazzVideoGuy on YouTube) knew Michael fairly well, and I asked him if he knew of anything in the works. Unfortunately the answer was no.

·
28,921 Posts
Dan Brown is the popular author who wrote Da Vinci Code and other books in the same vain, mostly about Freemasons and the Holy Grail. See posts 3 & 4. I suppose it doesn't appear to be a joke if you aren't familiar with that book and film. Consider yourself not to be missing much.

EDIT: I have added a smiley to the post, so that it's less than serious nature may cause less confusion in the future, for which I apologise.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts