Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

I've seen some sick Brecker clips on youtube. Many of these look like they were professionally recorded...

I know that the Brecker Brothers "Skunk Funk" album is for sale, but I can't find any copies anywhere.

Also, and more on my priorities, as I already own the audio CD "Some Skunk Funk". I was wondering if you knew of any DVDs of the following performances:

Michael Brecker with Herbie Hancock and the New Standard All'Stars (this is the youtube video of Brecker playing "Theives in the Temple" somewhere in Vienne. Here is a link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8vMUsdzwJI

The other one is the Steps Ahead reunion tour in Japan at the Mt. Fuji Jazz Festival. It has Steve Gadd on drums, not Steve Smith. Here is a link if it helps: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCXgQXU8gNA

Lastly, if anyone knows of other sick Brecker DVD's PLEASE tell me. The only other Brecker DVD I've seen is him with the Three Quartets Band - Rendezvous in New York.

Thanks

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I'll definitly check these out. The live in Tokyo youtoube video is from 2000-something, but I still would like to hear the older DVD. Thanks again.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
UNT is freakin' INCREDIBLE!!! I'm lead tenor in the nine oclock, and our performance was just rediculous.. Don't know if you know who Dwayne (trumpet) is, but he made the three oclock, but could only make the nine oclock rehearsals... So I get to play with one of the best leads in the school!!

The faculty is also absurdly talented! They are all amazing. I really really like if here. What was your graduating class? How did you like it?

·
Registered
386 Posts
Which hallway? I lived in C323 for two years, then in one of those long dorm rooms over the main entry. LOTS of great memories there.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
we live on D400... video game world. kind of annoying when your roomate just does NOT turn of the game.. all night long.. explosions and such.. sleep has become a delicacy.... I hear ramzsax playing as well.. look out! He's going places!

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Wouldn't it be great if someone brought out a compilation DVD of all the great performances by Mike, including a lot of the YouTube stuff.

I'd buy it.

·
Registered
8,031 Posts
jazzsax86 said:
Hey Guys,

I've seen some sick Brecker clips on youtube. Many of these look like they were professionally recorded...

I know that the Brecker Brothers "Skunk Funk" album is for sale, but I can't find any copies anywhere.
You can always find a copy on EBay.

·
Registered
640 Posts
jazzsax86 said:
UNT is freakin' INCREDIBLE!!! I'm lead tenor in the nine oclock, and our performance was just rediculous.. Don't know if you know who Dwayne (trumpet) is, but he made the three oclock, but could only make the nine oclock rehearsals... So I get to play with one of the best leads in the school!!

The faculty is also absurdly talented! They are all amazing. I really really like if here. What was your graduating class? How did you like it?
I know Duane Hargis (I'm pretty sure that's who you are talking about if he played lead in the 3). We both were there since a while back. Killer lead player. I'm glad you like it here. I ended up leaving this past spring. It was a lot of fun while it lasted though! I'm still in the area for the time being though if any of you guys want to play tunes. I'm always playing when I'm free. Hit me up through here if you guys want!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,494 Posts
What's with this 'Sick' :?
Is that the new 'Bad' :?

Herbie Hancock's 'A New Standard' is one of my all time favorite CDs.

I have the following DVD's. Both very good....

'Steps Ahead' Recorded live in Tokyo, July 30, 1986
Warner Vision 2564616412

'Chaka Khan, the Signature Diva Live' MVD DRB-1348
Recorded Roxy Theatre June 7, 1981. Has a young Mike and Randy.
Mike plays a 'sick' solo on 'Night in Tunisia'
Music Video Distributors
800-888-0486
musicvideodistributors.com

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hmmm.... must be a north east thing. Sick is a compliment. Same as saying "you killed it" or "you're a monster." Geeze! Can't believe you thought I was dissing Brecker. Quite the contrary, He is the biggest musical influence I have. But anyways, I'm glad you like those DVD's. I'm still trying to find a copy of the live in Vienne recording though.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,494 Posts
jazzsax86 said:
Hmmm.... must be a north east thing. Sick is a compliment. Same as saying "you killed it" or "you're a monster." Geeze! Can't believe you thought I was dissing Brecker. Quite the contrary, He is the biggest musical influence I have. But anyways, I'm glad you like those DVD's. I'm still trying to find a copy of the live in Vienne recording though.
No I didn't think that.

I figured you meant he was real 'baaaad' (sic).

BTW, we play 'Thieves in the Temple' with a small group I jam with.
Unison sax and guitar. Good fun when it clicks.

·
Registered
386 Posts
There's also a Thad Jones/Mel Lewis Big Band recording out there, and a John Abercrombie video as well.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts