Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I typically played Rigotti 2,5 soft and medium on a Robusto 7* metal (nice MPC, btw), but never have been so lucky with longivity, maybe 6 to 8 hours and gone, sometimes less. Now I switched to 2,5 hard and 3,0 light, they will be tough initially but then are really good. I flatten them all with the ReddGeek, and should they stay too hard, I use the Geek again, which however is not very often.
I feel that going down from 3,0 soft to 2,5 medium is quite a bit, what are your experiences?

Best, TSax80

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
7,352 Posts
I just posted this in another thread but it applies here.

I never advocate playing reeds that are good right out of the box. What happens is when they break in and settle they become almost (in some cases) a whole half strength softer.

This is why I always recommend to buy reeds that are a little too stiff out of the box. Play them and break them in over about a week and then they will last for a really long time at a strength you are most comfortable with.

But yeah, they'll be a little hard for a little bit.

Sometimes the backs need to be flattened half way through their life. Maybe a little off the face of the reed to open the pores up again. But other than that.

This is why I buy Vandoren red box 3.5's. They are almost all a bit too hard out of the box. By the time they settle they feel like a 3 or a tad stiffer and they play that way for as much as a month before needing any work on them.

This is my experience and it's what works for me. I used to go through at least twice as many reeds as I do now.

And don't stop doing long tones. You only have to do them for 5 minutes a day.

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,001 Posts
I feel that going down from 3,0 soft to 2,5 medium is quite a bit, what are your experiences?
I've pretty much settled on Rigotti Gold 3 light, but also have no issues using the 2.5 strong. There is a difference between those sizes, but not a significant difference. However, I think there is a pretty noticeable difference when you drop down from a 3 light to a 2.5 medium. A few years back when I first discovered Rigotti reeds, I tried several different sizes. I was surprised at how much softer the 2.5 med & light reeds were compared to the 2.5 strong. It sounds like you are doing fine with either the 2.5 strong or 3 light.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I like Rico Jazz Select. I prefer a 3m or 3s. I usually prefer the 3m and as mentioned above, after the break in period its somewhere between a 3s and 3m, and I can get a couple weeks to about a month out of it without feeling like its losing strength depending on how much i'm playing.

Thanks!
Kristy

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your responses. JL, that´s exactly what I feel, there is a jump between Rigotti 2,5 medium and strong. So I think I´m doing it right now. And yep, longtones are great, also slow 4ths and 5ths and arpreggios. I am really chasing sound right now. Best, TSax80.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts